How hard to install SYE kit?

Jason4x4

Got a question for you guys. I've talked about my build in other threads so I'll try not to go into too much detail.

Bottom line is, I took the parts up to the guy who is doing my powdercoating for me this evening, and as we were talking he asked where I was going to be installing everything since I live in an apartment. I told him I was planning on taking it to a (somewhat) local Jeep shop. He told me that a friend of his has a large garage with a lift and every tool we could possibly need and if I wanted to he would probably let us use it for a case or two of beer and they like working on stuff (he has an old Bronco and a dodge and they are all former Harley Davidson mechanics) and would probably be willing to help me install it.

The only thing I'm concerned about installing ourselves is the SYE because it involves tearing into the transfer case and also I'm not sure about measuring or whatever I'd need to do for the driveshaft (although we could probably figure that part out). So I'm thinking I have two options: 1) We could try to do everything ourselves and hope we can figure it out between us or 2) We could certainly do the springs/shocks/control arms/body lift/motor mounts oursevles and then worse case we could put the bigger t-case drop on that came with the springs/shocks and then take it to the shop and have them finish the SYE/driveshaft.

How hard would it be to do an SYE kit for someone who's never attempted it before? Is it a bad idea??

It's really simple; look online also, as there was a video of how to do it. If you have any basic skills and the right tools (which it seems you do have).

Basically, you'll need regular socket set, a 12pt socket (dont remember the size) for opening the TC, a good torque wrench, and a good snap ring plier. Make sure you get the ones with the duck bill for the snap ring pliers; this will be the difference between a 1 hour job or a 2 day job (trust me on this one; I spent one day with a cheapo pair of pliers, then, the next day, I ran to Sears, got the right one, and did the rest of the swap in less than 20 minutes!).

EDIT: Found the vids; here they are:

Last edited:
1 1/8" socket for the yokes on the transfer case
15mm socket for case halves
10mm 12pt socket for one case half bolt
split ring pliers like described above
1/2" wrench to remove speedo sending unit
9/16" wrench to remove shift linkage

3 qts of ATF and some RTV and you're good to go. Use the RTV very sparingly.

Back