CJ7 304 5.0L exhaust damper

peterblesi

Hi all,

I'm changing the exhaust on a '79 CJ7 304 5.0L from headers to the original manifolds and Y pipe. On the passenger side I found the Y pipe cannot be pulled tight to the manifold because the manifold bolts are not threaded all the way. I do not have a manual, however, the '80 manual calls for a damper in this spot. It also seems if the damper or a spacer were between the manifold and the Y pipe, the exhaust pipe would line up better down to the muffler.

So, my question. Do I need the damper ? If a damper is needed, could someone explain what is needed to connect. Instead of the damper, could I use a spacer or something to takes it's place ? Or, would I be better off connecting the Y pipe to the manifold and stacking washers on the bolts ?

Thanks again for all your responses.

On my 81 CJ7, i cut the damper flaps off and welded shut the holes where the pivot shaft used to be. I just use the damper housing to eliminate the use of a flange gasket that leaks since the damper is made of cast iron. Since i don't have any issues on the performance, i would say you don't really need it except for mounting reasons. I have a dual exaust on mine so i dont a Y pipe in between the exaust. Using a long bolt and a stack of washers will be prone to breaking.

Back