locker ????

jhiggins

what would be the best for my 88yj a front locker for now or a rear locker? Both of them will eventually get them but for now which one would be the best???? :-? :-? :-? [addsig]

if you have man hubs you can put it in the front, if you dont have man hubs i would put it in the back...[addsig]

in the back cuz it's easier to push than to pull most the weight is transferd to the back when in motion :evil: [addsig]

cariss is right, it's been proven on the trail that a rear locker only will get you further than a front locker only.

A jeeper broke his rear locker and could not get up a slab of slickrock. Tried backing up it and, with the front locker, was able to crawl right up without slipping a tire. It's all in the weight transfer.

Get the rear.[addsig]

Sounds good I will go with the rear for now ....which is the best????dana35 and money is no object.... :-O :-O :-O [addsig]

Well if money is no object I would get an ARB air locker....I have heard lots of good stuff about them plus the ability the lock and unlock the diff from the cab at any time makes it great for a daily driver. If you get something like a detroit it will ratchet and bang when you turn and also causes some funky handling when on slippery surfaces.[addsig]

It depends on how much you go off-roading. For casual off road a lockright would work. For extreme use a detroit or ARB is great, gives you the option of locking and unlocking, cost a lot more.[addsig]

The air lines to operate the ARB can be problematic, plus you have to run an air compressor to operate the locker.

If you want a selectable locker, check out the cable activated OX locker, or the electricly activated E-locker that just came out.

A lunchbox type locker should work just fine for you, EZlocker or Lockright.

Since money is no object, you may want to upgrade the entire rear axle. The Ford 8.8 can be found with the correct gearing and disc brakes AND limited slip differential out of '95 and later Explorers, Mountaineers, Navajos, etc. It has the correct lug pattern is and is only slightly narrower than a stock D35, but a LOT stronger. We've twisted D35 axle shafts on the last two club trail rides we were on, and both those jeepers are upgrading to stronger axles.

Also check out the Super35 kit, comes with heavier, stronger axleshafts and either an OX locker or Detroit locker.

The possibilities, and opinions, are endless :lol: [addsig]

i like the OX locker myself, although the ARB is a great locker you can sometimes run into problems with the compressor and such and the OX locker is cable operated so it can still be engaged/disengaged from the cab and you dont have to worry about the compressor.

Quik[addsig]

i would get OX, also....and you get a cool lookin diff cover

edited by: far_right, Feb 19, 2003 - 06:42 PM[addsig]

Bounty... do you run those lincolns on the road? do you have stock axles? do you go through tires quickly? would you suggest them[addsig]

Yes, Yes, and No. I've had the Lincoln Lockers for over a year now, with stock axles, and no problems. I'm sure it wears rear tires faster, but it's not too noticable. Good rotation will minimize this. I run 2 sets of tires, Swampers for the trail, and whatever used cheapies I can find for the road. This keeps the Swampers in decent shape, well, what the rocks don't tear up on the trail :lol:

I'd suggest them, driving manners are great. It tracks straighter than ever (never been too bad before) and there are no unexpected lane changes that are associated with automatic lockers. Just have to know what you're doing if thier is ice or snow on the road.[addsig]

Back