engine,trans combo. for my jeep build?

dano12771

Just finished building my 1ton gantry crane to pull the old motor from my 1985 cj7 jeep(will post a few pics soon), which currently has a amc 4cyl. with a t4 trans. Im trying to figure out what motor trans combo I should go with. Dont want to buy a crate motor or spend a fortune on it. looking to find something used if possible, or out of a truck or some other vehicle .or even a scrap yard. Plan to go with 35" tires. then change up axle later ,but 1 thing at a time. So I will have the stock amc axles for now, along with the amc transfer case. So, Im hoping I can find the right combo to work with this set up. I would also hope that motor trans combo would have easy to find parts for. Any help with getting me on my way would greatly be appreciated.:shades:

Just finished building my 1ton gantry crane to pull the old motor from my 1985 cj7 jeep(will post a few pics soon), which currently has a amc 4cyl. with a t4 trans. Im trying to figure out what motor trans combo I should go with. Dont want to buy a crate motor or spend a fortune on it. looking to find something used if possible, or out of a truck or some other vehicle .or even a scrap yard. Plan to go with 35" tires. then change up axle later ,but 1 thing at a time. So I will have the stock amc axles for now, along with the amc transfer case. So, Im hoping I can find the right combo to work with this set up. I would also hope that motor trans combo would have easy to find parts for. Any help with getting me on my way would greatly be appreciated.:shades:
put a cummins 4bt in it

put a cummins 4bt in it
Why?

I wouldn't be set in stone on reusing your stock transfer case, you may need an adapter to mate it to the new transmission. Finding a donor vehicle with the complete engine/transmission/transfer case would save money on adapters.

Look at older Chevy drivetrains for a transfer case with passenger side drop.

Thanks for the info. That definitely helps. Could u
be a little more specific about the type of truck and year?

Not that familiar with what was available over the years, sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in. Keep us updated on what you find and the install.

Where are you located? I have a computer client of mine that has a 2001 Chevy C1500 350/4L60-E combo with only 10K miles on it. Get an adapter from Novak and you have a killer drive train. PM if interested. He wants $2500 for the setup. It is complete from fan to tail housing and has all the wiring and computer. The setup is in Reno, NV right now.

Allen

Keep your jeep, Jeep. If it’s a CJ, a SBC shouldn’t be living in it. Just my opinion. AMC 360s are cheap and plentiful, ample power too. Of course a lot depends upon what you plan to do with the jeep once it’s done when it comes to transmission, over drive or granny low. If you want granny low you can get a T18 to bolt up to the 360 with little trouble.

Sounds like a good deal unfortunately I'm located in Ohio
But it still helps me with what I can look for. Thanks I'm going
To start checking craigslist for trucks this weekend. If you guys
Have anymore input feel free. This definitely helps a person
New to this get some good ideas.

just put a 4.2 in it. the i6 is a good engine and has decent power. besides, its not the engine that will let run big tires, solely. its your axle gearing that primarily affects what tires you can run. a 4 cylinder can run monster tires with an axle regear fine. and its cheaper then swapping a motor in

of course, if you jsut want the v8, then find anything. i know that a 302 bolts into the jeep factory transmission like it was made for it though. probably a jeep 6 cylinder transmission though. a jeep mechanin buddy of mine told me thats how he did his cj5. pulled motor from mustang, bolted to transmission, hooked up lines, drove off

98 was the last year that a C1500 had a 350, it is most likely a 4.7 or 5.3 if it is a V8, but the motor only will be useful. the 4l60e is a 2wd transmission, the cost to convert it is more than if you just source a 4wd transmission.

If I were looking for a motor swap, I would look for a chevy 5.7, 5.3 v8's, or 4.3 v6, I would run a 700r4 transmission and a D300 T-case. a fairly inexpensive drivetrain, tough, proven, and pretty easy to have as either MPI, TBI, or Carbed.. you choose.

If I were you, I'd just leave the 4cyl and look for a beefier transmission, sm 420, 465, T18 etc..

The "85 4cyl was the Pontiac "Iron Duke" 151cu. it has a GM bellhousing. So a SBC would bolt to the T4 with no adapter. The T4 does have a rep of being a weak link,but I've known guys that have not had problems running them behind stock V8s.
I do agree with Superj though that a 4.2L or 4.0L is a great engine & they also will mate to a T4 with no adapter.

Thanks guys. All this information is incredibly helpful for
Someone who's doing this build for the first time. Keep the
Info coming, and again thank you for your time. Ill start looking
this weekend.

Just an update. A friend called me and said, he came across A 1976 ford rolling chasis. It has a 390ci motor with a 4 speed
Manual transmission. It also has 36" tires. His suggestion to
Me is to put the jeep body on this chasis. My question is, is
Ford 390 a good candidate to do this swap? What's Anyones
Advice on this. Or should I keep looking ? Any advice would
Be a great help.

It may require getting creative with the body mounts and shortening the box on the Ford to put your Jeep body on.other option is to pull everything from the Ford and drop it onto your Jeep. The second is what I would do. The chases sounds like a good enter way you go.

best of luck and we want PICTURES!!!

Bacon

a late 80s mid 90s S-10 pick up or blazer makes a good donor and always find them going fairly cheap on craigslist and you can even go auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a crate ford 390 on my 64 t-bird and that's more than enough for your jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a crate ford 390 on my 64 t-bird and that's more than enough for your jeep.

In my opinion the only reason to put that much power in a CJ is if you are sand dragging or hill climbing, not day to day jeeping.

Last edited:
I havent had a chance to look at it yet. Still trying to get
ahold of the seller. I did do some research on the ford 390ci
and it's known for being called a boat anchor. Plus the article
claimed that it was tough to find parts for. Also being a big block
it would probably be tough to fit into a jeep frame. Lost a little
enthusiasm after reading that article. In regaurds to the response
to the s-10 blazer donar vehicle, would that be a 4.3l v6.
I'm still looking and listening to your great input. Thanks for
your time and ideas keep them coming, it's a big help. I'm going
to upload some pics from the current jeep as it is now.

please do not put a jeep on a ford truck chassis.. it will look horrible. the wheel base and dimentions are just way off, especially with only 36" tires. if you want to run that motor and what I am guessing is a t18 transmission (very desirable) search for a YJ frame, way stronger than a CJ frame or re-enforce the stock cj frame to handle the 390.

Back