99 Tj still wont start

Tyler Bates

I have a 99 Tj and it had been wrecked which deployed the air bags. It did not come with a key so I busted the tumbler to be able to turn the wheels to load it thought it wouldnt start because it had a chipped key so I went to the dealership and found out it doesnt but bought a new tumbler from them so that I had a key but everything lights up but it wont even turn over is their a relay or something that would blow when it hits hard enough for the air bags to go off??????

We'll have to wait for Mikey to chime in here but I remember getting all annoyed some time ago when I heard that the air bag computer talks to the engine computer during a crash and tells it to shut down the engine and not to start ever again. I heard something about getting a new air bag computer and having the dealer "reset" the crash status in the engine computer. I hope this never happens to me but I think I'll keep a Cummins 4B in reserve just in case! Best of luck - John

The accelerometer and the impact sensors determines the severity of the impact. The ACM(Airbag control module) where the accelerometer is housed internally may or may not allow an ignition to occur depending on the severity. As stated by John, it will prevent you from starting the engine. Good point from Bounty_Hunter as well. In the event of an impact, a lot of things happen that you would'nt think it could have been possible. Check to see if the ignition switch has come out of alignment. Also chck to see if there is a red light on the cluster or a yellow key symbol thats lit up. I know the dealer told you there isn't a chip key but i just want to verify it with you.

Thanks for the posts and Ill check the ignition switch and on the dash their is a red light thats flashes not in the gauge cluster but in the dash and their is also a box in the center console that looks like an alarm box of some sort so dont know if the security system would do that i thought it would let it crank atleast but maybe shut off the fuel supply but it doesnt crank or anything but the only lights in the gauge cluster are the air bag and fuel lights

In the process of elimination to answer why it won't start, my first choice is the alarm system, regardless if it's factory or aftermarket. Check the alarm module and see if any of the heavier gauge wiring has been bypassed from the ignition to this module. If so, re-route them back to the factory routing. They are color coded so just make sure that both ends of the wiring matches colors.

I wired around the alarm and it fired right up thanks for the help now I am on to a lift which I posted about as well

Back