Shock absorber question

Spud

I just had my shocks replaced on my Jeep. After two weeks I started hearing a clunking sound every once in a while. I finally tracked it down to the top mount on the rear shocks.

The top mounting bracket has slid off of the bushing. It appears that the bracket the shock mounts to is too wide for the mount of the shock. I attached a picture in case my terminology is lacking.

The shocks are warranted so I will be taking them back to get them fixed but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem. If you have, is there some way to permanently fix it? I am sure the installer can correct the problem but I don't want it to happen again. I can just imagine them saying that it is no problem, slipping the shock back on the bushing and calling it good.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    919.1 KB · Views: 310

The only time i've seen that happen is when the suspension has been subjected to an extreme offroad flexing. Other than that, i would ask for a new one rather than slipping on the old bushing back into the shock.

looks like a bad bushing was installed when it was made, Just ask for the new one and replace it...

You may want to consider JKS bar pin eliminators.

Those bushings usually have an hourglass shape to prevent that from happening, and they're often difficult to install. Looks like somebody substituted straight bushings for ease of install.

The bushings you need look like these:
image-missing.png

Those bushings usually have an hourglass shape to prevent that from happening, and they're often difficult to install. Looks like somebody substituted straight bushings for ease of install.

The bushings you need look like these:

Awesome! Thanks for the help and the pictures.

The only time i've seen that happen is when the suspension has been subjected to an extreme offroad flexing. Other than that, i would ask for a new one rather than slipping on the old bushing back into the shock.

I wish it had been subjected to "extreme offroad flexing"! I could have felt good about it failing then.

Thanks everyone. I took the Jeep back to the shop and they readily admitted that the wrong bushings had been installed. 30 minutes later they had replaced the bushings with ones that look like they will work. Shop stated that if it happened again they would try a different brand of shock. I really appreciate the advice.

Did mine, ran into the imfoumus top bolt snapp. I have heard that some guys have had to cut inside the tail panal to remove this! If these guys have tools to cut a panal you would think they own a drill and a tap&die set.

Attachments

• jeep12 008.jpg
    jeep12 008.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 297

I just had my shocks replaced on my Jeep. After two weeks I started hearing a clunking sound every once in a while. I finally tracked it down to the top mount on the rear shocks.

The top mounting bracket has slid off of the bushing. It appears that the bracket the shock mounts to is too wide for the mount of the shock. I attached a picture in case my terminology is lacking.

The shocks are warranted so I will be taking them back to get them fixed but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem. If you have, is there some way to permanently fix it? I am sure the installer can correct the problem but I don't want it to happen again. I can just imagine them saying that it is no problem, slipping the shock back on the bushing and calling it good.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sorry for bumping in this thread but the same problem is happening to me. After i have replaced my Shock Absorber, i am starting to hear some weird sounds. I am not a mechanic or a technical person so i have no idea what should i do. Any tip?

Look in the area where your hearing the noise. If it's a popping noise, chances are the bushing and the metal sleeve on the new shock is a little bit narrower than the factory. In this case, torque the bolt down to compress the bracket to the shock bushing.

Back