Need lift advice - PLEASE!!

absolutemoon

The general thought seems to be I can not fit 33x12.5x15 under a stock 81CJ7 auto w/258. With that being said, I was thinking of putting a new set of leaf springs to achieve a 1 1/2" - 2" lift for clearance. First off, does this sound reasonable?

2) Is there any other suspention parts I need to upgrade/replace (i.e. pitman arm, brake lines, shocks, ect..)

3)Will my stock gears hold up with 33's (not sure what i have because i have no idea what to look for) I know its stock.

It would probably be easier to just put 32's on there but I am a glutten for punishment, besides, 33's look damn good on an old cj.

IMG_0060.jpg

I'm not sure about CJ's, but I have 4" of lift, and my 33's still rub a bit on the rear at max flex on my YJ. I doubt 2" of lift will clear 33's if you are planning on wheeling. i would go for 4" if I were you. And with 4 inches, you do need a dropped pitman arm, and most likely a SYE kit, as well as adjusting your rear diff angle to work with the CV shaft (you can get around the brake lines, at least on a YJ, by rerouting them for the front; the rear ones you WILL need to replace).

Why not buy lift springs if you're planning on buying replacement springs? I'm not too familiar with CJ's, but I think you're going to need at least a 2.5" spring kit, if not a complete 4" kit.

Why are you not considering the lift kits?

the suspension on CJ's, just be the fact that the shackle hangers are under the frame and not through it, you can easily fit a 33" tire with a ~2" lift.

as for gearing, you probably have a 3.31: gear set. I make this assumption that you have a 258 and I assume a 4 or 5 speed. you'll be fine. the radius on a 31-33" tire is only 1" and is not that huge of a jump. most 32" tires are wider than a 31" tire but will measure closer to 31" diameter so there is not really a height increase.

for a 2" lift you will need new springs, new bushings for the springs, and new shocks. you do notneed all this hoaky crap they try to sell you. With a 2" lift, stock pitman arm will be fine, brake lines should be fine, you are driving a 26 year old vehicle (at a minimum) if they appear to not have been service in the past 26 years, I'd replace them, $30 insurance that they last another 26 years.

jps4jeep, thats kinda what I thought. It is a 258 automatic (3 speed I believe) Does that make a difference? When I bought this, my intention was to get it back to stock as much as possible. That idea flew out the window a while ago. I have not been able to put larger tires or a lift due to the fact that I only have 1/2 inch of clearance now to get it in my garage. I am moving next month to a house with a taller garage. (dont tell my wife, but thats why I picked that house. Kinda sick if you think about it. I guess that's why its a JEEP thing.) As far as the other responses, I do not off-road with this. It has to many old rickity parts. Just drive her around town. If you think of anything else I may need to do, by all means let me know. I am not a mechanic, but can find my way around a shop if need be. Thanks again, Bry

Got another question,

What is the difference between an "add a spring" set of springs vs. a skyjacker 2.5 lift kit? The obvious is the price. "Add a spring" is 59.99 per set (120.00 for both front and back) Skyjacker 2.5 (just the springs) is 522.99. What am I not seeing here? Why the huge difference in price? (besides paying for the name) Bry

If I am not mistaken, the add a leaf is exactly that, you will be adding a single leaf to your existing springs to accomplish the lift. The full set is a complete new pack of springs.

You should really consider wheeling the CJ, I run a 82 CJ7 with 126000 miles on basically stock running gear(stock transmission, transfer case, motor has been upgraded tho:lol:). I have the 4"spring lift with a 1" BL, and 2" " shackles. The only change to the running gear is my front and rears are 4.10 ratios.

If all your looking to do is add bigger tires no trail rides ect just go 2 1/4 shackles should be perfect to add 32 or 33 s and wont break the bank '
you may need to change out shocks if their not long enough

With the add a sping pack you disassemble your worn out spring pack and add a spring they give you. With a new leaf pack, you get exactly that, a new set of springs that will ride better and last much longer.

I ran 33s on my old CJ7 with a 2.5 inch Pro Comp sping set and a 1 inch body lift.

I say go with a new spring pack. It will cost more, but will last much longer.

with an auto, your gearing will probably be a little (numerically) higher.

Add a leafs are great for the cost, but the ride will be a lot harsher than stock. If you want a spring kit that will give you amazing ride quality (by jeep cj standard) as well as great off road performance, Ol' man Emu sells a 2" or 2.5" kit that converts your front springs to a 2.5" wide YJ front spring. we put this kit into a short wheel base CJ5 and it road thousand times better than stock. I would definately suggest using the OME shocks as well.

Back