AMC 20 axle trouble

gonzo891

Well i did it. it tok some time but i flipped my jeep! damn snow covered roads! well it put my jeep in the garage long enough to get caught up on a few problems i have. oil leak waz fix a few things here a few things there but i decided to redue my rear brakes the driver side went great no problems but then the passenger side came and as i took the drum off grease was everywhere i know it's not brake fluid because i just replaced the wheel cylinder so i figured it waz either an inner or outter seal. so after some hammering i got the nut off the far end of the axle but i can't seem to get the axle out i need to replace the seals somewhere in the axle but i'm at a stand still right now any help would make this project just that much eaiser. i have a CJ-7 with no lift and 31 tiresthanks for any help you can give[addsig]

OK< you have the traditional 2-piece axle shafts. You need to take the wheel and drum off. Then take off the brake backing plate, I believe there are 5 or 6 bolts behind the hub that you need to take off for the backing plate to come off. Then you need to put that hub you removed back on. Know you have to get some kind of puller to remove the rear axle, or You can TRY to put the drum back on, backwards, then put on the lugnuts just 1 or 2 turns. Know, pull outward REALLY HARD, repeatedly. This is kind of like a slide hammer, it worked on my '76 CJ that hasnt been apart in 25 years.[addsig]

Back