ignition help

scout

hey everybody! im getting ready to drag my 89 yj home but the seller lost the key, the steering column is locked, i have no problem changing the ignition when i get it to my shop but i would love to steer as my wife draggs it home.how can i unlock the steering column?:cry:

Welcome to the Z. I don't think it can be done without pulling the steering wheel and the lock plate.

word on the street is you can use an old chevy key that is worn and alot of times, they will work in the jeep ignition. they are the same style of key

word on the street is you can use an old chevy key that is worn and alot of times, they will work in the jeep ignition. they are the same style of key

This is true depending on how worn your ignition lock is. My brother's Cadillac key started my 78 CJ7 no problem. If the lock is still nice and tight a locksmith can make you a new key on the spot. Best of luck - John

thank you everybody, sooooo much....ill try my xj jeep key...someone at work suggested drilling out the tumblers as well...ill let you guys know what works!

Lucky someone else lost yours. i lost my own. Assuming the ignition is the original, you can go to the dealer and they can give you a new one for about 25 bucks. Just got to give them the vin.
I'm pretty sure someone replaced my ignition before I got my YJ. I think I'm stuck replacing the who thing... while sitting in the parking lot at work.
If ya find a truck to unlock the steering, I'd love to know how.

Back