Sway bar disconnects = bad???

Jason4x4

Just picked up the newest issue of JP and was reading through it. There is an article ("Coil Suspension Sundries") that is basically a bunch of tips for upgrading coil suspension systems (i.e. TJ's or JK's (or I guess YJ/CJ's that have been converted would also apply)).

In the article it says you should run swaybars off road with quad-coil suspensions. It says "Don't assume massive flex means massive performance. When you run coil springs, sway bars are your friend. ... We know a lot of enthusiasts like swaybar disconnect systems for jaw-dropping flex, but running no swaybars on a quad-coil suspension is a recipe for instability and a possible rollover."

I've never heard this before. As a matter of fact, I've always heard just the opposite - that disconnecting the front swaybar off-road only helps performance. This article isn't going to keep me from installing my JKS Quicker disconnects, but I'm just wondering if anybody agrees with the article?

i can see there being a higher possibility for roll over on coils since they are going to push equally on the frame, no matter the angle of the vehicle. i don't know though, just picturing it in my head.

i run sways no matter what because i came from racing bmws and i feel like the vehicles going to flip with no sways

Their opinion on swaybars is not a cut and dry rule of thumb, I think it applies more to the rear of a TJ than the front. There's a few jeepers out there that think it's beneficial to run no swaybar on the rear of a quad-coil setup, and it's not. There are benefits to running disconnects in the front IF you run a rear swaybar and the suspension (rear especially) is not too soft, causing a lot of off-camber lean.

Their opinion on swaybars is not a cut and dry rule of thumb, I think it applies more to the rear of a TJ than the front. There's a few jeepers out there that think it's beneficial to run no swaybar on the rear of a quad-coil setup, and it's not. There are benefits to running disconnects in the front IF you run a rear swaybar and the suspension (rear especially) is not too soft, causing a lot of off-camber lean.

X2 on all that....

And - JP Magazine technical editors like the idea of modified front and rear swaybars (Like AntiRock) better than disconnecting the front and leaving the rear connected.

I've run many different types of disconnects in various configurations on my TJ over the years

Rancho
JKS Quicker
Rough Country
ORO Dual Rate SwayLock
Currie Antirock.

Hands down LEAST favorite (and most expensive) was the ORO Dual Rate Swaylock

My favorite setup so far is Antirock front and Rear. When the Antirock was only on the front, the Jeep was not significantly different than a disconnected front with a connected swaybar in the rear.

Yeah, I would imagine the biggest problems with running disco'd is that the sway bar is the limiting factor for the drop in the rear. Without that, you could very easily drop your springs on the ground every time you get a lot of flex.

When I did the Rubicon this summer, there was a guy in a TJ that I kept running into that had this problem. His rear sway bar mount actually broke and every time I saw him, he was jacking up the rear and re-mounting his springs.

I suppose you could fix all that by running the limiting straps that are a little longer than your sway-bar disconnected? I've personally never needed any more flex in the rear, but the front is a different story.

Yeah, I would imagine the biggest problems with running disco'd is that the sway bar is the limiting factor for the drop in the rear. Without that, you could very easily drop your springs on the ground every time you get a lot of flex.

I suppose you could fix all that by running the limiting straps that are a little longer than your sway-bar disconnected? I've personally never needed any more flex in the rear, but the front is a different story.
No the biggest problem with disconnecting the rear is instability, the propensity for the jeep to flop. Don't do it. That's the point of the article. I've seen TJ's disco'd in the rear and it's downright scary on the slightest off-camber.

And wheelin isn't about who has the most flexy rig on the trail, you can easily carry a tire in the air and make an obstacle with the correct equipment. In my opinion it's much better to keep the jeep as low as possible, limit uptravel, and maximize droop. This keeps you stable and your springs will last longer.

Soooo many jeepers run no bumpstops or bumpstops that are too short so they can try to impress with gobs of flex. All they're gonna do is flop, wear out their springs prematurely, and tear up tires and fenders.

So, that skinny little sway bar in the rear (with the plastic ends) - that you can flex with your hand - actually IS important? I was thinking about taking it out but I guess I shouldn't (the ends are worn and clunking) . My front sway bar has been missing for over a year and I really don't miss it (an end broke - disco's are on "the list" for later) . I have noticed a little more lean but it seems to be OK. One thing for sure... The front tires can now go over things without making the whole Jeep rock side to side. -John

Back