Wrangler automatic transmission won't shift into gear

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
While driving into my garage I heard a crunching sound, and noticed that my transmission was stuck in neutral. It would shift easily (too easily) through the gears, but would not start again. This is a 2005 Wrangler SE.

I climbed under it and noticed this:
IMG_2197_wrangler_automatic_trans.JPG IMG_2199_wrangler_automatic_trans.JPG IMG_2200_wrangler_automatic_trans.JPG

I was able to get it into the garage using a clamp

IMG_2201_wrangler_automatic_trans.JPG

Does anyone know the name of this part? I'm going to have to get one from the dealership when they open tomorrow.

I think the grommets on the early models like yours are replaceable on the shift cable. I've seen a lot of the later models do that . The new revised grommets seems to have fixed the issue.

$26.20 at the dealership has gotten me a replacement. It was easier to install than I expected. For anyone else that needs to know - it's part number 52109624AD. The dealer doesn't sell just the grommet, you'll have to buy the entire cable.

The new cable

IMG_2203wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2204wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2205wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2206wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2207wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2208wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG

And how it compairs to the old cable

IMG_2209wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2210wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG IMG_2211wrangler-auto-transmission.JPG

It looks like the newer cable has less metal and more plastic.

Thanks for your posting. You saved me a hour at least trying to figure out what happen. I grabbed three zip ties and headed out there. Fixed it in about 10 minutes and am going to go get the cable. Wondering if you had some pointers on installing the cable? Thanks

It wasn't really hard, but you'll have to remove the center console to get to the cable (the plastic cover that is). It probably took an hour to do.

Following these tips it took me awhile, but Im usually kinda slow. I have an '06 Wrangler Unlimited. Straight six .. automatic. First I looked at the pics and then went and looked underneath. Sure enough .. the shift cable grommet broke. Just like the pic showed. I dismantled the center console. Unplugging the end by the shifter was easy. Getting the plastic piece outta that metal cutout that is about 4 inches forward wasnt so easy. Pried and pried then it came loose. Next I went under and attempted to detach the cable from the bracket that is mounted to the transmission. I broke the plastic keeper. You cant buy those separate, so now I HAD to buy the whole cable. Now here is where I F'd up. I shoulda called the dealership right away. You CAN buy the grommet separately. $2.60. I could have gotten this done in 10 minutes or less. Instead it cost me $49.75 for the whole cable and was a lot of hassle. I was messing with it for almost 2 days. Thankfully Im retired and that a neighbor drove me the 15 miles to the dealership. I still appreciate the above info though. Thanks to y'all.

What dealer did you get it from. The ones I have talked to are charging $80 to $90 bucks, but I'm also in a different state. I was going to order where you did and save some money!!

Back