TJ hardtop to a YJ

M G D

I recently bought a hard top for my '93 YJ, only problem turns out it's for a TJ.. dang it, well lesson learned. Has anyone out there tried mounting a TJ top to a YJ & if you did can you share what results you had. My mistake is in great condition w/ dark glass, if it doesn't look too "forced" & would seal against wind & rain I'd use it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
MGD

Re: Newbie hard top mistake.. help!

You will at minimum need the window surrounds from the TJ. They are two folding brackets that go around the top of the doors and clamp to the roll bar above the door. Do you have those?

The hard top does NOT require the door surrounds. The windshield upper frame is what's different between the YJ and the TJ. Check the lip where it protrudes on top of the windshield frame, I think you will need to trim that. As for the doors, you will need the set that has the rounded upper rear corners.

The hard top does NOT require the door surrounds. The windshield upper frame is what's different between the YJ and the TJ. Check the lip where it protrudes on top of the windshield frame, I think you will need to trim that. As for the doors, you will need the set that has the rounded upper rear corners.

My mistake. Looking at my TJ I don't know how it would fit without it and I didn't know the doors were that different from a YJ.

Dimentions on the YJ and TJ doors are very very close. I agree with Mike, thewindshield header willbe the issue, but I think it might be done, not sure if it will seal all that well, but dimentionally about the same.

Funny that this topic pops up now, I saw a TJ yesterday with a YJ hardtop on and it actually looked like it was well fitted.

Thanks to one and all for your information.. if I don't just turn it and start over I'll message my efforts & the outcome when done.

If all you need is the windshield channel it would be a lot cheaper to make this one work than to try and sell it and by a YJ one. It's your call, I'm just sayin' I know hard tops aren't cheap, and from what I gather swapping the windshield channel is a relatively easy fix.

pleaes let us kown how well this works. thank you tp=n=yj

if you still have the tj hard top i have a yj hard top i would haul up to swap you. i live in salem oregon.

When I had a YJ years ago I recieved a free TJ hardtop with a missing rear window for my YJ.

I removed the upper door weather seals and was able to set the Top on the YJ. Seamed to fit well. There are extra roll bar retainer straps in back and bottom of tub. Move the 2 to the windshield to match the TJ latches. However the rear tub hold down bolts are in different locations and don't all line up. YJ has 6 bolts, TJ has 8, or vise versa. Round uppers windows are needed also. I ended up getting rid of the hardtop because at the time the cheapest I could find a replacement rear window was over $500, I didn't have the $$ for upper doors either, nor did I have a place to store the soft top. I also had a brand new great condiiton soft top.

There is a yj top in the for sale area for 350. Buy it and sell yours

When I had a YJ years ago I recieved a free TJ hardtop with a missing rear window for my YJ.

I removed the upper door weather seals and was able to set the Top on the YJ. Seamed to fit well. There are extra roll bar retainer straps in back and bottom of tub. Move the 2 to the windshield to match the TJ latches. However the rear tub hold down bolts are in different locations and don't all line up. YJ has 6 bolts, TJ has 8, or vise versa. Round uppers windows are needed also. I ended up getting rid of the hardtop because at the time the cheapest I could find a replacement rear window was over $500, I didn't have the $$ for upper doors either, nor did I have a place to store the soft top. I also had a brand new great condiiton soft top.
$500 for flat glass? I had the rear quarter window cut for my cj5 hardtop last friday for $40.

"for sale area", where the heck is that... I looked all over the site and I didn't find it.

Its almost to the bottom of the forum page. Maybe its called swap meet area, I can't think of the name. I just know there is a section for parts for sale and wanted

Its almost to the bottom of the forum page. Maybe its called swap meet area, I can't think of the name. I just know there is a section for parts for sale and wanted

Thanks, I found it.. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Search for my old post "my $20 hard top" and you'll see just what you're about to get into. (I put up some pics). Unfortunately I couldn't complete the project as we moved out of our house just before I deployed last year and I didn't have room for it. I'll tell you this...it CAN be done. I'll also tell you this...it ISN'T worth it. Just sell that bad bot to whomever will buy it and get yourself the real deal. OR, what I wish I would have thought of, post it on Craig's list under bot TJ and YJ top and offer it as a trade to someone with a YJ top, I'm sure there's someone out there. Good luck either way.

$500 for flat glass? I had the rear quarter window cut for my cj5 hardtop last friday for $40.

This was in 2001. TJ 1/4 glass is flat. TJ rear is slightly curved. I guess a clear / tinted plastic window would've worked as it will flex a little.

In 2007 I had another YJ and had a factory CJ7 hardtop on it. I also had a CJ8 Scrambler 1/2 hard top and bulkhead on it with the rollbar removed. It actually looked pretty cool.

CannonCamerapictures484.jpg

1976-1995 CJ7 and YJ hardtops will interchange pretty easily. CJs I believe lack the defrost and wiper functions. TJ - YJ top takes some modifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would sell it. around here, TJ tops sell for more money than YJ tops. not sure on the other side of the US.

Out here, TJ, and YJ tops go for about the same $$. CJ hardtops are lil $$ when you can find them. It would prolly be easier to sell your TJ top and find a used YJ, CJ top instead; That may depend on your Locallity to general population. Bigger cities may have more used hard tops readily avail. Smaller cities = better deal when you find one... in theory.

Aren't hardtops plentiful in OR, WA areas.... or Do ppl hold onto them harder because of all the pretty clouds?

Back