Nutter Bypass in 2.5L

cjdew84

I recently purchased a 1984 CJ-7 with the Hurricane 2.5L. It was having some issues but I was able to tweek most of them out. The only thing I kept having an issue with was this constant *cough* or spitting and sputtering.

I did some research and came across the Nutter Bypass. But it seemed like nobody had tried it on the 4 cylinder yet. And although Im no master mechanic, I figured I had tried everything else within my budget, so I just said "screw it" and went for it.

And it worked!!! It was relatively simple. Even for me. I followed the same process. Minus a couple of carb tweeks. The wiring is run differently than the 258, but the coloring is the same and its pretty much the same setup.

If anybody is interested, I'd be more than willing to go through the process again and take some pictures next time.

Just let me know.

I recently purchased a 1984 CJ-7 with the Hurricane 2.5L. It was having some issues but I was able to tweek most of them out. The only thing I kept having an issue with was this constant *cough* or spitting and sputtering.

I did some research and came across the Nutter Bypass. But it seemed like nobody had tried it on the 4 cylinder yet. And although Im no master mechanic, I figured I had tried everything else within my budget, so I just said "screw it" and went for it.

And it worked!!! It was relatively simple. Even for me. I followed the same process. Minus a couple of carb tweeks. The wiring is run differently than the 258, but the coloring is the same and its pretty much the same setup.

If anybody is interested, I'd be more than willing to go through the process again and take some pictures next time.

Just let me know.
i

i have an 1884 cherokee 2.5L 14 1bbl can you help me get it installed
thanks new member
david roberson

The nutter bypass is a mod that allows you to remove the computer from your 4.2L Jeep. It removes alot of the complexity and generally makes things run better.

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz app

i don't see why it wouldn't work on any engine if you have a computer controlled carb and want it to run like a non-comp vehicle. i am glad someone tried it out on a 4 cylinder though

Just let me know.

Just joined. I bought an 85 CJ7 with the same motor, and I think I can figure out the wiring and the timing, but I have a question about the carb part. Did you adjust the low speed mixture screw out or in, or did you do anything with it at all? At what point did you disconnect your mixture control solenoid?

Just joined. I bought an 85 CJ7 with the same motor, and I think I can figure out the wiring and the timing, but I have a question about the carb part. Did you adjust the low speed mixture screw out or in, or did you do anything with it at all? At what point did you disconnect your mixture control solenoid?

i will get to the 1984 next week
david roberson

Just let me know.

Did any of you check my article on NAXJA ? Did my 2.5 in '09, posted the article. Redid the carb too. No pix, but very detailed article. Wilco40

Back