Frame repair

flatie46

Here's some pics of my frame repair progress. Hope to get these welded in this weekend. Been working late and lots of OT since I got it, hard to make any progress.

Attachments

• jeep 11-7-10.jpg
    jeep 11-7-10.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 814
  • jeep 11-7-10a.jpg
    jeep 11-7-10a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,562
  • jeep 11-7-10b.jpg
    jeep 11-7-10b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 582
  • jeep 11-7-10c.jpg
    jeep 11-7-10c.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,708
  • jeep 11-7-10d.jpg
    jeep 11-7-10d.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10,997

The bottom pic is the section I cut out, which was the back 16" of the frame. I made a template of what was left [ I guessed a little] and drew it out on 3/16" plate. I cut it out with a band saw then shaped the top and bottom of it to fit and started tack welding it and pinching it down with a vise to put it where I wanted it to get the next tack and worked my way to the end. When I got it all tacked up I passed it on to a good friend to tig weld it. I can tig but he's better than I am and the tig setup at work is down at the moment. Anyway the factory made the frame out of a channel in a channel[ which is one reason why they are prone to rust]. The best I could tell it was like .150 on the outer channel and like .125 on the inner channel. I made mine both inner and outer from the 3/16 plate. I'll try to get some pics of some other things I'm gonna do when I go to attach it to the frame that will give it strength. I'm interested in hearing from anybody that has done this repair or just wants to BS about it.

> I'm interested in hearing from anybody that has done this repair or just wants to BS about it.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to talk about it...that's all behind me now,

...and I'm healing... it's a process.

Attachments

• rear frame 3.jpg
    rear frame 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,313
  • frame patch rear.jpg
    frame patch rear.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 4,471
Looks good so-far...will the new piece fit into the existing channel or fit around it or are you going to butt-weld it?

Looks good so-far...will the new piece fit into the existing channel or fit around it or are you going to butt-weld it?
They are actually two pieces, I should have seperated them for a pic. I've got anthor piece that will slip inside the frame, it will be welded down the edge that's been cut off and also plug welded thru the big hole in the frame plus some smaller ones I'll drill. It will stick out about 5" so the outer channel will slip over it. Then I'll make a couple of passes at that seam and along the inside, plus it will be plug welded also. Then I'll slip the inside channel in and weld it. The inside and outside vertical seams will be ground flush and a diamond shaped patch will cover the seam and be welded on all 4 sides this will take any up and down stress off the seam. This is overkill I know but I don't want any reason to have to baby it or take it easy because of the repair. I'm taking tomorrow off to weld it up and get a few other things done. Hope to pop in my favorite CD's and enjoy myself.

Back