Lug Nuts

TJoffroad00

I am installing the center caps on my rockcrawlers and i need to know how much to tighten my lug nuts after i put the wheel back on.My manual says 85-110 foot pounds but i dont know how to measure that.I have just tightened them as much as i could, and accidently broke off the aluminum outer shell on one of them but I just pinched it down and slid it over the nut and it is tight so i think it will be alright, so i think i have them tight enough.But is it neccesarry to get them this tight r do they not need to be this tight?Any help would be appreciated. :-? [addsig]

most major part stores loan tool. So I would just go down to orileys or autozone and borrow a Torque Wrench and tighten them to factory specs, or if you do a lot of your own work on your own rig I think it would a good investment to buy one. If you buy one get a good one.[addsig]

I have never seen anyone go to the extrem of useing a torque wrenchon their lug nuts. Some like to air wrench em on but I like em hand tight so I can get em off by hand. Now I am a 300 lb boy so my hand tight is pretty snug. When you broke your center cap was you just tighting one lug? If so there may be your trouble. put all lugs on finger tight and then tighten a little more to each in a clock wise rotation of lugs untill all are equaly tight. My humble thoughts. Tug[addsig]

Ok- with lug nuts, getting them to the proper torque is a lot more important that people think. If they are not properly torqued there is the potential to warp your rotors. But honetsly there is not much difference between 95-100 lbs of torque. BUT, the most important thing is to get them to the same torque. For the money I would buy a torque stick. I think the small amount of $$ pays for it in the security of knowing that your wheels are not going to fall of while going down the highway. And, if you get into motor work almost everything needs to be torqued down to a proper tightness, so I would say just go out and buy one and torque your wheels down to 100 lbs. [addsig]

The cap that broke off is becuase the epoxy that was bonding the cap on the lug nut itself broke.The center cap didnt break, just wanted to clear that up.I tightened them up as well as i could and i am 250 lbs so that is pretty snug too.I will run by a auto zone and see if i can rent one of their torque sticks for 5 minutes and do it in their parking lot.As for tonight i think they will be alright.[addsig]

Hmm weird...I never really payed attention to the torque on lugnuts....just got em as tight as I could...after I got my OBA and 450ft/lb impact gun I usually just set it on the max and hammered them on hehe....never had one come off yet.[addsig]

Funny but I have never seen a tire shop changeing hundreds of tires a day ever pick up a torque wrench! Even on NASCAR running fast and long the pits never pick up a torque wrench. I may be wrong but this is a little over kill! Put on tight and drive like crazy. tug :evil: [addsig]

I work at a service station and after I fix a tire or put new tires on we have a set of tourque bars that you put on an impactgun and zip them on, this is most important on disc-brakes because you can warp your rotors. Just remember to tighten in a criss-cross patern and you shouldn't have any problems. If you got them tight I wouldn't worry about them just check to make sure their still tight after about 100 miles :-D [addsig]

Back