Top Leak... any ideas?

JeepGirl03

Hey!

I've got a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport soft top. I've developed a rain leak that I can't track down and was hoping for some input.

The leak is on the passenger side half door. Coming down from the top- drips into the cab right over the door handle on the inside. It's a big leak which really sucks living here in Seattle.

I also have a "matching" leak on the driver's side, albeit not as bad a bit further back on the door. Drips right onto my shoulder. Ugh!

Anyways, I can't figure out what the cause of the leaks could be? Neither doors nor top have been damaged. I measured both doors and they match each other. No bends or warps. The Jeep lives in a garage out of the weather mostly. No holes in the canvas and all rubber appears normal.

If I lift the canvas uppers and stuff something under them to help support them (also leaving a big airy gap to the outside around the bottom of the canvas door) the leaks stop. I'm just looking for a more permanent fix.

I'm didn't want to get a new top if maybe just new door uppers would work. I didn't want to get new doors if maybe a new seal over the windshield or door adjustments would work. I have no idea where to begin? I've been battling this leak for almost a year now!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
JG
smurillo6@attbi.com[addsig]

Welcome, and thank you for joining the dating game!!!
Sorry I have a hardtop, but from a poorly installed windshield I had a leak that would only surface during heavy rain when I was on the highway. I went to an automatic carwash, where I was able to inspect the seal & found the leak. BTW, I'm 5'9" live.... DAMN... see what you started?! :-D
Good Luck! -JP

edited by: JP, Feb 21, 2003 - 08:34 PM[addsig]

Is this a factory soft top or aftermarket?

Oh and welcome to the board!! It's nice having other Jeepin Girls around!

:cool: Patti[addsig]

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

OK, I'm 28 (for those who are interested) lol!

My top is the factory one that came with it. Could this be my problem?

Thanks everyone! You're all great!
JG
[addsig]

To adjust the seal at the top of your half-door, simpley hold the door open and bend the top of the half-door in the direction of the leak. That's what it says in my YJ manual, it should work for a TJ too ;-) [addsig]

Just remove a couple of plugs from the floor and let it drain. Hehehehe. Welcome to the family and hope you are able to find the leak! Get a firend to use the water hoes and spray with you inside and look for the leak. Later Tug[addsig]

Back