Rockjock Dana 60 from currie

jeeptjon37's

OK,
Here it is,
I've decided on a chevy 350 swap (well not sure because im not sure if its street legal). so the Currie RockJock® (why did i put ® ?) Dana 60 rear end seemed good for an engine like that on 37's.
First off the price seems pretty steep for an axle ($2150) am i crazy? do axles really cost that much???????? And its strong right? Anybody ever have (or had) one of these in any jeep or any truck??? I have a TJ.

for the rear axle look into the GM 14bolt. It's pumpkin is slightly bigger that that of the D60 but it will handle more power with the larger ring and pinion along with the 3rd(?) bearing supporting the pinion. You can find them as full floaters and the 31spline shafts are huge. You can regear and put in lockers or what ever for about a quarter of the price.

Best of luck on your build and remember PICTURES!!

Bacon

for the rear axle look into the GM 14bolt. It's pumpkin is slightly bigger that that of the D60 but it will handle more power with the larger ring and pinion along with the 3rd(?) bearing supporting the pinion. You can find them as full floaters and the 31spline shafts are huge. You can regear and put in lockers or what ever for about a quarter of the price.

Best of luck on your build and remember PICTURES!!

Bacon

wow thanks. i thought the bigger the axle the more it costs!!

the rock jock cost that much because it is a brand new axle, not a junk yard axle, it has an angled diff cover to better protection, but the rock jock as far as I know is only available in a semi-floating application. for pure strengtha dn on trail servicability, you want a full float axle.

I agree, 14 bolt is a tough dirt cheap axle. like a 9" has a 3rd pinion bearing to reduce pinion flex which under hi-torque usually eats ring and pinions, here is a realistic cost for the rear on a set of 14 bolts I am building for my juggy;

rear
axle-$100
disc brake brackets- $54
calipers- $5 from Junk Yard, rebuild kit $30
5.38 thick cut gears gears- $325
Master install kit- $80

I would never pay more than $150 for a 14 bolt unless it is a CUCV axle, then $300 is the limit (geared to 4.56 and detriot locker stock.)

avoid factory gov-loc axles, get a open carrier and just weld the gears.

14 bolts are badass. i had one in my 83 fi50 on 40s with a built 351w and gave it hell and it never let me down. bulletproof on a jeep with less than 44s.

Back