Steel Horse Automotive

jackflack44

Has anyone had experience with them? I have their hard top and hard uppers and the uppers use door pins that have screws in them, does anyone know where I can get some? Also, where can I buy the catch for the hard top latch downs?

Attachments

• image-2029879341.jpg
    image-2029879341.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,163
  • image-385176575.jpg
    image-385176575.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,997

Has anyone had experience with them? I have their hard top and hard uppers and the uppers use door pins that have screws in them, does anyone know where I can get some? Also, where can I buy the catch for the hard top latch downs?

if im not mistaken steel horse automotive went out of buisness a while ago. I have thier 2 piece hard top not sure if the hard uppers i have are steel horse or not but they supposedly screw into the lower doors. i dont think i have the pices that go into the holes that the uppers screw into to hold them tight mine basically just sits loosely ontop of my half doors and ive never had an issue running them this way. are you missing all of your latch downs or just 1? if your missing all of them i can probably take a pic of mine so ya can see what your missing if you need to know what they look like or how the function. my new jeep has a fiberglass tub so i havta figure out a way to get the latches to work as the glass tub has a different lip then the original steel tub and the latches dont catch the glass lip.

I'm just missing one latch down and I want the door pins to cut down on wind noise. I don't mind it but the girlfriend and family do a little bit.

I have the Steel Horse 2 piece top & half doors...I've also heard that they went out of biz or were bought out. As for the screw ins that hold the door tight,I welded nuts in the door & use 5/16" bolts to hold the tops tight.I keep a ratcheting wrench in the console so I can pop the doors off in a minute. I don't know about replacing the catch part,maybe another mfgs latch would work with some modification.

I did before I had the bolt in set up...also added a strip of foamrubber weather stripping to the bottom of the fiberglass upper-door...glued the weather stripping to the part of the upper-door that contacts the outside edge of the lower door. That makes the upper-door lean inboard just a bit & seal tighter on the top.I have to slam the door closed now,but I stay warmer & drier.:D

Let me resurrect an old thread...I'm another Steel Horse 2 piece hard top owner. Came on my 95 YJ that I recently purchased with some hard uppers that I assume are also Steel Horse. My hard uppers are also flopping around with nothing to screw into. Here's a couple of solutions that I've seen.

Bulldawg Manufacturing makes some interesting nut inserts to secure the hard uppers. A little pricey, but looks like they work good.
Accessories: Bull Dawg Manufacturing | Bulldawg Mfg

Another option is to contact Bestop for their little nuts that pop into the bottom of the factory inserts. I think they sell them for about $1 each + $5 shipping. You have to call them - they aren't shown on their webpage.

A big problem with my top is that the doors don't sit flush inside the top like you would expect. At the rounded corner, they sit against the top, which makes sealing difficult. Sorry, no pictures - I removed the top after a couple of weeks of ownership. I was wondering if anyone else had door fitment issues?

The previous owner had left all the soft top rails in place, which could have caused some fitment issues. This fall when it gets cold, hopefully, I'll be able to get it fitting and sealing better.

I sold the "95 that had the Steel Horse top in spring of 2011,but I remember solving the upper door contact issue by putting a spacer between the top & the body tub just behind the door. The spacer was small enough that the top still overlapped the outside of the body to seal,but sat high enough to close the door with out contact. hope that helps...Good luck & let us know how it goes when you put your hardtop back on.

Back