Grinding when I shift

xtensenfamily

I just bought my first Jeep, a '95 YJ with the 4.0 5 speed manual transmission. When I go from second to third and third to fourth, it grinds. I was told this might be due to air in the clutch line, but after reading through various posts, it looks like there is no way to really bleed this line. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

If it only grinds between those two gears, that makes me think syncronizers. Give the transmissions fluid a level check. Might be a bit low. Does the clutch peadal still feel as stiff as it normally does?

It's common for that transmission to grind due to bad syncronizers. Chrysler installed and recommended the incorrect gear oil for your AX15 and the AX5 transmissions. The recommended GL5 gear oil is corrosive to the soft brass syncronizers. Change your transmission's gear oil and you'll likely see the old oil full of brass glitter.

Replace the transmission gear oil with Redline MT90, it's a full synthetic that will help your transmission shift smooth and last a lot longer. It's pricey but well worth it. Smooth shifting even in cold weather.

If there's no bleeder on the slave cylinder, my guess is either your clutch is worn out or the hydraulic unit is toast.

Thanks for the replies. I'll replace the transmission fluid and see if that helps. Worth a try before I go to a new transmission.

Thanks for the replies. I'll replace the transmission fluid and see if that helps. Worth a try before I go to a new transmission.

I would go with Bounty__Hunter about changing the fluid. If the previous owner did not change the fluid you are dealing with 15 year old fluid which is probably already broken down.

Jeeps manual are not made to be shifted very fast anyway. my wife when driving offroad she thinks she need to speed shift, Just take it easy and it will go into gear.

Good Luck

i have the same problem with my '93 yj. i out a full synthetic in it and it still does it just as bad, the only way i see to get rid of it is to get a new transmission or rebuild it

Back