97 tj

97wr@ngler

Hey guys!! i have a 97 TJ with a 4 banger and have a deal on a 4in lift that i cant pass up. will lifting my jeep 4in harm the 4cyl?

Hey guys!! i have a 97 TJ with a 4 banger and have a deal on a 4in lift that i cant pass up. will lifting my jeep 4in harm the 4cyl?

Changing the suspension alone won't have any effect on your engine at all as the suspension is not connected to the engine in any way. The problem is that usually the whole point of installing a lift is so that you can fit larger diameter tires which does affect your engine. Adding larger tires won't "hurt" your engine but it may make you hate your Jeep. If you don't regear your axles your engine will struggle to turn the larger tires and you'll have a hard time maintaining highway speeds.

However if you just put a 4" lift on and keep the same tires your Jeep shouldn't drive any differently than it does now.

Changing the suspension alone won't have any effect on your engine at all as the suspension is not connected to the engine in any way. The problem is that usually the whole point of installing a lift is so that you can fit larger diameter tires which does affect your engine. Adding larger tires won't "hurt" your engine but it may make you hate your Jeep. If you don't regear your axles your engine will struggle to turn the larger tires and you'll have a hard time maintaining highway speeds.

However if you just put a 4" lift on and keep the same tires your Jeep shouldn't drive any differently than it does now.

Thanks i appreciate it. I have a chevy 350 back home that i am putting in it but that wont be until next summer. So for now this will be driven mainly to work and back

Haha oh man. Your really jumping fields going for a four banger to a 350. But congrats. Wish I could afford one

Back