97 TJ wanting Dana 44's

97wr@ngler

i am looking to do an axleswap and i was wondering is there a vehicle that i can pull one from and bolt it under my TJ?

Some of the Saharas and Unlimiteds came with a Dana 44 in the rear as an option. The only TJs to have a Dana 44 front are the Rubicons. You use to be able to buy OEM TJ Dana 44s for a reasonable price off the shelf but I think those days are gone and the KJ version are now offered instead as that is what is in production.

with my old 01 sport, my D35 was taking a crap. i ended up finding a D44 on eBay. this allowed me to swap to 4 wheel disc & get rid of the rear drums. it was a direct bolt on. i didn't have to do any mods to get it to work. i did not hook up the parking brake (since my 01 sport was an auto). i would have had to do something if i wanted the parking brake to work. i tried searching for another one for my current TJ, but i couldn't find anything in my search. if i ever come across one for the right price, im going to get it, even if i don't need it at that time.

Couple of things, first of all any Jeep optioned with the "off road" package got the D44 rear. This includes some (I would venture to say "most" Sport models (of which the Sahara (and Golden Eagle) was a special edition), and I believe even the "X" models had the option although it was less common. If you can find one of these rear axles, obviously they would essentially just bolt in. Rubicon rear D44's are relatively easy to fit but they're slightly more complicated in that they come with an air locker from the factory (non-Rubicon Jeep D44's do not). Note that a Rubicon D44 will be geared to 4.10 while non-Rubicon D44's could be anything from 3.73 up depending on transmission and other options, so you may or may not need a new ring and pinion depending on what your wheel/tire combination is. As for the fronts, the TJ Rubicon D44 front isn't any more difficult to swap in than the TJ Rubicon D44 rear (i.e. it has an air locker so it's slightly more complicated than a straight bolt in).

Now, as was mentioned previously, the supply of 'new' TJ D44 axles is drying up. You still shouldn't have much trouble finding at least a rear in just about any junkyard if you want to go that route. I just want you to know that you can fit JK D44 axles underneath your TJ, just to give you another option. Of course they are wider than the TJ axles, so they require some fabrication, but I've seen it done before.

One last thing - unless I'm mistaken you can put disc brakes on a D35.

Back