Engine seized!!??

rcaldera

I've got a 2006 Wrangler X 4.0L. A few days ago I went out and apparently punctured the oil pan. Without know this, I took it out yesterday and made it only 2 miles before it stalled out. No warning sounds at all. The engine sounded fine before it stopped. I looked underneath and saw all the oil. Before I noticed the oil, I tried restarting and all I got was clicking sounds from the starter. Someone told me that the engine may have not seized - he said that the newer models have a safety feature where the fuel pump trips itself off when the computer senses a huge loss of oil. Anyone else ever hear of this? I only have 25,000 miles on that engine. Please, please, don't make me have to buy another engine! :(

Did you notice a loss of oil pressure? I am not sure of the computer question you asked.

Did you notice a loss of oil pressure? I am not sure of the computer question you asked.

Right before it stalled, I saw the oil pressure needle on the 'L'. All I meant by 'computer' was someone told me there may be some kind of safety sensor (computer?) that will shut the engine off when it senses that it's low on oil. Of course I understand that running an engine with low oil will eventually seize it. But it was purring beautifully right before it stopped. Could it be that it was shut off before I did any real damage? Ever hear of that kind of safety feature before?

Thanks so much for reading and responding to my problem.

Jester32 said:
Toast. I did same to one a few yesrs back.
It probably does most vehicles do these days only way to know is to fill it up and try startin you might need to reset codes or the computer first

Theres no oil level unit on the 2006. Im looking at a manual right now. If the oil pressure dropped of the mains get starved first.

It probably does most vehicles do these days only way to know is to fill it up and try startin you might need to reset codes or the computer first

That's exactly what I'll do. Replace the oil pan, which I'd have to do anyway, add oil, reset the computer, and pray...
Thanks for your help.

While the pans off throw some bearings in it. Or at least pull a couple of caps off to inspect. Replace the oil pump to they only have a service life of about 180,000 miles.

Jester32 said:
While the pans off throw some bearings in it. Or at least pull a couple of caps off to inspect. Replace the oil pump to they only have a service life of about 180,000 miles.

He only has 25000 just check play or heat side to side is ok but up and down is bad i know there will be side to side if you had some pressure it should be fine but you check the bearings middle bearings are gonna be the first ones to go just make sure to get the torque right

If the oil pump got starved good chance its toast to. They dont take much. Seen many a motor with alot less miles than that with oil pumps toast.

Jester32 said:
If the oil pump got starved good chance its toast to. They dont take much. Seen many a motor with alot less miles than that with oil pumps toast.

I would agree but with low oil shut offs thats why they are there to protect all of the components

If it has one. Theres nothing about it in the service manual. None of the canadian built vehicles have it anyway. American may be different.

And im not trying to be a hero i just dont like giving false hope. Expect the worst but hope for the best. I do two or tgree engines a month cuz of oil loss. And it is almost never pretty.

Jester32 said:
And im not trying to be a hero i just dont like giving false hope. Expect the worst but hope for the best. I do two or tgree engines a month cuz of oil loss. And it is almost never pretty.

Its his choice but it dont seem nesesary cause it shut off with low oil pressure might be good idea its up to him

Jason4x4 said:
I think he's saying that the '06 doesn't shut off with low oil pressure so it *will* be necessary (most likely).

I cant find anything on it

Back