Do I need to be concerned about this damage?

Jason4x4

Went wheelin' today at Green Ridge State Forest (trip report coming soon in my "builds" thread) - This is my first time wheelin' with the 4" lift and all the work I recently did to my TJ. I wanted to do a shakedown run at Green Ridge State Forest so I could work out any issues in the new suspension before I go on a big trip to Rausch Creek with Mt. Zion Offroad on the 2nd of January.

Anyway, all went well except that when we got to the trailhead I decided to disconnect the swaybar. This is the first time I've ever used my disco's. No problems getting them off and on, however once the swaybar was disconnected and I hit the trail, I started hearing nasty grinding noises. I hopped out and at first couldn't see anything wrong. Kept going and heard more carnage noises. I hopped out again suspecting a driveshaft rubbing on one of the skidplates. I quickly discovered that the U-joint on my front driveshaft was banging into my Rusty's engine/transmission skid when I would go over large bumps/rocks and the axle would droop to far. I got to the most level place I could find nearby and reconnected the swaybar and only heard the impact once or twice more the rest of the day - no problems on-road.

Bottom line is, I'm going to remove the Rusty's skid and cut a notch in it to eliminate this problem but I wanted to show you guys a couple pictures of the U-joint so you could tell me if I should be concerned about the damage to it - it's not bad, just chewed up a little around the edges. Is this something I should be concerned about and look into further? Or should I be ok?

Attachments

• SAM_0247.JPG
    SAM_0247.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
  • SAM_0248.JPG
    SAM_0248.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 161
  • SAM_0249.JPG
    SAM_0249.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
  • SAM_0250.JPG
    SAM_0250.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 156

It looks ok. But I would replace the u-joint straps, they look banged up. I would hate to see them crack then brake off on the trail in the middle of nowhere.

I agree, it looks like little damage, but to be safe, change them. It looks like you were hitting the skid plate pretty hard in that 3rd pic, but lucked out with the damage. I doubt I would have been that lucky. :lol:

should add a pair extended bump stops that would eliminate the issue your having

I have extended bump stops front and rear. The original Skyjacker kit I bought had extended rear bump stops but not fronts. I bought fronts from Mt. Zion Offroad while they had it in the shop.

I have extended bump stops front and rear. The original Skyjacker kit I bought had extended rear bump stops but not fronts. I bought fronts from Mt. Zion Offroad while they had it in the shop.

By the way, anybody have a part # or know of a good place to buy those U-joint straps?

You should be able to get the straps at any auto parts store they are common i usually buy new ones every time i change a u joint should be less than $20

You should be able to get the straps at any auto parts store they are common i usually buy new ones every time i change a u joint should be less than $20

What are the torque specs for the bolts? And is it pretty straightforward (i.e. take the bolts off, remove old strap, but new strap on and bolt it back together) or if I take one off is it going to fall apart? (I've never worked on a u joint :) ).

By the way, you can see my extended bump stops on the front in this picture: http://www.jeepz.com/forum/attachme...720387-jason4x4s-2006-tj-project-sam_0243.jpg

You'll see more driveshaft rubbing if you wheel on any rocks, especially with that low pinion front axle. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of damage.

Well, I ordered a set of the straps (not the u-bolts) just in case. I'm trying to decide whether I'd be better off just throwing them in the toolbox I take on the trail with me as spares "just in case" or if I should go ahead and change them (and I could hold on to the 'used' ones in case of an emergency). I guess what I need to know from you guys is if I were to break a strap on the trail, would it be just a matter of bolting on a new one or is there potentially more carnage involved?

There's always potential for more carnage when something breaks. I would change them now and use the old ones as spares.

IMO, i would trim out that skid plate to avoid further damage to the yoke and straps in the future.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to pull it off the Jeep and clearance it before I go wheelin' again.

Also verify that the front axle is properly centered beneath the jeep. It may need shifted to the driver's side slightly and would save a little trimming on the skid.

It was professionally aligned and all the control arms/track bars set after everything was installed so it should be OK, but I'll double check.

You'll see more driveshaft rubbing if you wheel on any rocks, especially with that low pinion front axle. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of damage.
^^^^
this.

I wouldn't bat an eye at that at all. The front pinion yoke edges on my jeep are pretty much rounded off from dragging it over rocks.

My suggestion though, I would get away from straps and drill out the yoke for U-bolts, way stronger.

I would probably go ahead and change out the straps and keep the old ones as a spare only because if the damaged ones decide to break you ususally wont know it until they both break and you lose the driveline and or damage something else all together! I run with better safe than sorry!

Back