Rock-It Intake

Jason4x4

Just out of curiousity, on Quadratec's website they list a Rock-It Max Flow intake for '97-02 TJ's (tube and filter) for $149 and the regular hi-flow intake for the same year range for $139. They list a different tube (just the tube) for '05s for $114 and the filter would be $50-60 on top of that depending on which one you get. They don't even mention anything about the '06 model year TJ. So I'm just wondering, what difference is there between an '02 intake tube and an '05 intake tube? I can't imagine that it would take much work to make the '02 tube work on an '05 (or '06) 4.0. Or am I wrong?

It can't be too much difference, since you can by kits that cover all TJs, like these:

Xtreme value AIRAID® & PowerAid® Combo for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L I6 Engine - Quadratec

AEM 21-8311DC - AEM Brute Force Air Induction System with Power Spacer for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L 6 Cylinder Engine - Quadratec

I've got the aFe intake on mine and am pretty happy. I like that the filter is protected from mud. You can see what I mean here

It can't be too much difference, since you can by kits that cover all TJs, like these:

Xtreme value AIRAID® & PowerAid® Combo for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L I6 Engine - Quadratec

AEM 21-8311DC - AEM Brute Force Air Induction System with Power Spacer for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L 6 Cylinder Engine - Quadratec

I've got the aFe intake on mine and am pretty happy. I like that the filter is protected from mud. You can see what I mean here

That aFe intake is nice but the Rock-It intake is cheaper (unless you can find a heck of a deal!) and it puts the filter up over the engine so it may not be as well protected but it's not like it's completely exposed...also it made great power numbers in JP Magazine's intake test several months back. It's basically the combination of cheap+good power numbers that has me interested 8).

I had a friend that had this intake, I took his and just copied it out of mandrel bent tube. I got the filter and the plastic union at auto zone. cost me maybe $50 all said and done.

The 05 and up have an additional sensor, I think it is the intake air temp. The kits that cover all years have the hole drilled And come with a plug. Thats all I know of.

The 05 and up have an additional sensor, I think it is the intake air temp. The kits that cover all years have the hole drilled And come with a plug. Thats all I know of.

That's what I was thinking. Oh well, I just ordered the '05 tube and filter from 4WD. I'll let you know how it goes. I thought about just getting the tube for $114 from Quadratec and ordering a universal K&N filter from Summit or somewhere but it looks like the total would have been essentially the same as ordering the tube and the Rock-It filter (which honestly is most likely a K&N anyway) from Quadratec. The only thing that sucks is that Quadratec's warehouse is right up the road but they have to drop-ship the tube from California, meaning I'll have the filter tomorrow but I'll probably have to wait a week and a half to get the tube. Oh well.

Back