transfer case and transmission

jeeptjon37's

Alright,

If I was gonna upğřáďé ťÃµ 37'ś would I need to úpřÃ¥ďé the transfer case or the transmission?? I'm keeping the 4.0 after all so forget all my engine swap threads.

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. do you like the little things above the letters???

They're annoying to say the least.

If you have an automatic transmission I'd strongly recommend an external cooler to help it last longer. If you have a manual, no upgrade needed.

You will want the transfer case modified with a slipyoke eliminator, and depending on use you may want to throw in a 6gear planetary and wide chain kit while in there. 2lo is a good inexpensive mod also while the case is apart.

What about an atlas? Looking for really low first gear with a about 4.88-5.36 preferably 5.36 fifth. What happens if I got and atlas that had a 6.0 fifth on 37's? Would that be bad?

at a minimum a SYE should be installed.

I would not be overly concerned with your t-case gearing at this point, if you need to ask whether you need an atlas, then you don't need an atlas.

also, there has always been this movement to having the deepest gearing possible, well, it is possible to have too deep of gearing. you need to identify the type of wheeling you intend to do.

If your gonna be a trail rider with a little bit of everything thrown at you like a little mud, moss covered rocks etc (tellico or the rubicon come to mind).. really deep gears (high crawl ratio) is going to bite you in the arse. You will not be able to generate enough wheel speed to get over an obstical, ideally you want a moderate crawl ration.

Now if you are going to wheel in sand dunes like Pismo, you probably going to want to to keep your crawl ratio lower so that you can move at a decent speed.

If you going to wheel say Johnsno valley or moab your going to want a deeper crawl ration, wheel speed is not as important as being able to control the tire slippage while keeping the engine RPM high enough to not stall while maintaining a speed that will allow for decent manuverability.

Simply throwing the bling bling parts at a rig will not make it any more capabile if the parts are not ideal for the use.. kinda like using a sledge hammer to hammer in a 1/4" finish penny nail

Bounty__Hunter said:
You lost me, do you mean a 5.36 first gear? 5th gear is generally an overdrive around .79:1.

Uhh well I think I was thinking axle gears. Idk I'm kinda new so I just assumed they were the same. So yea. Could some one explain to me what an atlas is? I know its a tcase but what's the purpose of it. I thought it would have a low gear for more torque and then a high gear for speed. I'm kinda a trail rider but I love really really deep water. Snorkel deep.

Atlas makes t-cases with several lower low range gears. You have 2 and 4 speed units. The 2 speed units are like the factory unit in that you have hi 1 to 1 and a low 3 to 1 and lower. The 4 speed units have a high and 3 low range ratios, most people will never need these and they are way pricey.

Atlas cases are far from useless but prob are in your case. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the jeep as to what needs to be done. I run a stock case with a SYE and it works OK for me but may not be enough for someone else. Depending on what axles you have it may be pointless to gear them because not many stock axle will hold 37s. It's a vicious cycle, tires lift gears etc.

They also have kit that use half your stock tcase and puts lower gears in only in 4wd

It's called a teralow from teraflex. Cheaper to get a Rubi box and you get the same ratio and it's a little stronger.

xjmarc said:
It's called a teralow from teraflex. Cheaper to get a Rubi box and you get the same ratio and it's a little stronger.

So lower gears in 4wd but not in 2wd!! That's cool. But what if I want to get some speed or momentum at a hill. Id just be crawlin.

Unless your wheeling where you need to do a front or rear dig, disengaging one axle from the other should not be a concern on someone who is new to wheeling.

I am going to give you the best advice that will ever receive regarding offroading, building a rig, and overall safety...

Build your rig as your knowledge and skills advance.

If blasting down a dirt road with maybe a mud hole or two is what your honest wheeling experience is... 37" tires should not even be the bench mark you are aiming for. Don't be a lemming and buying into you need this or that to be bad ass. If your jeep is stock (close to) as you are aluding too, I suggest getting some rocker guards and skid plates and go wheeling, when you identify a short coming, work on imporoving your skill set first, if after a couple of times you still find the same short coming, then look to improving you rig. for example, you have rockers and skids, not add a lunch box locker to the front.. then maybe one to the rear. these are not expensive upgrades in teh grand scheme of things, maybe a couple hundred bucks. install them your self, learn how your differentials work, assembal, disassembal. that way if and when you break something on the trail, you have the knowledge to swap a part instead of being the guy who snaps an axle and no idea how to fix it... No one likes that person because you will slow everyone else down and shorten their day.

I will wager that if you built a billy bad arse rig from day one and went out and wheeled it either
1. you will be board out of your mind because you probably built something way beyond your local trails, and there is no fun in that
2. you will look like an idiot because you will have this bad arse rig and no confidence to use it as it should be. (confidence does not equal stupidity)

Offroading is about 80% driver skill and 20% vehicle capability. If that wasn't trrue, anyone could win RCROCS or Ultra 4 or KOH

What he said. I wheeled a Toyota on 30s for a couple of years, added lockers after about a year and learned a lot. Then I started replacing what didn't work, not just build what everybody said I needed.

Unless your wheeling where you need to do a front or rear dig, disengaging one axle from the other should not be a concern on someone who is new to wheeling.

I am going to give you the best advice that will ever receive regarding offroading, building a rig, and overall safety...

Build your rig as your knowledge and skills advance.

If blasting down a dirt road with maybe a mud hole or two is what your honest wheeling experience is... 37" tires should not even be the bench mark you are aiming for. Don't be a lemming and buying into you need this or that to be bad ass. If your jeep is stock (close to) as you are aluding too, I suggest getting some rocker guards and skid plates and go wheeling, when you identify a short coming, work on imporoving your skill set first, if after a couple of times you still find the same short coming, then look to improving you rig. for example, you have rockers and skids, not add a lunch box locker to the front.. then maybe one to the rear. these are not expensive upgrades in teh grand scheme of things, maybe a couple hundred bucks. install them your self, learn how your differentials work, assembal, disassembal. that way if and when you break something on the trail, you have the knowledge to swap a part instead of being the guy who snaps an axle and no idea how to fix it... No one likes that person because you will slow everyone else down and shorten their day.

I will wager that if you built a billy bad arse rig from day one and went out and wheeled it either
1. you will be board out of your mind because you probably built something way beyond your local trails, and there is no fun in that
2. you will look like an idiot because you will have this bad arse rig and no confidence to use it as it should be. (confidence does not equal stupidity)

Offroading is about 80% driver skill and 20% vehicle capability. If that wasn't trrue, anyone could win RCROCS or Ultra 4 or KOH

Im taking classes after its built and i already have been taking classes. Im a beginner but thats why nothing has been done into building its just been what i need what i dont need

That is the best information I have heard in years. Go at your own speed and it will come to you. There is a wealth of good experience and knowledge here at Jeepz.com. I have heard people from the school of hard knocks and wasted money/effort getting ahead of themselves. I pay attention to what I am told, these guys know.

Back