Wider wheels / Wheel pattern

JTR0569

I have a few questions:
  1. Do I need wheel spacers when I go to wider tires?
  2. Any suggestions on wheel spacers?
  3. How can I determine my wheel/lug pattern?
  4. Alloy or steel wheels?
  5. What determines the backspacing?
Any and all help appreciated.........thanks,
Travis

Last edited:

1.) as for spacers it depends on what your rims off set is
2.) wheel spacers maybe a 1.25 spidertrax if needed
3.) as for lug pattern I believe your YJ is 5 on 4.5 but not 100% sure
4.) I prefer steel especially if its a trail rig
5.) back spacing take a ruler from inner rim on backside measure to outside of rim that's your back spacing

Yeah...what ^ he ^ said.

Your YJ has a 5 X 4.5" lug pattern. With a, say 33 X 12.5 tire on a 8" rim with 3.75"-4" backspacing, you shouldn't need spacers. That's the most common set up out there.

Steel-little more durable and can be trued if the damage isn't awful (from my research anyway). But, they're heavier.

Alloy. Lighter, "purtier" (if you're into that stuff), and more expensive.

For how expense most spacers are you could buy steel wheels for about the same price. Plus you don't have to worry if they are loose...

Last edited:

For how expensice most spacers are you could buy steel wheels for about the same price. Plus you don't have to worry if they are loose...

Plus wheel spacers put more strain on the axle bearings.

Saddle Tramp said:
Plus wheel spacers put more strain on the axle bearings.

No they dont they both bolt up the same they both put the tire out the same no way they strain the bearings more but i will agree wheels are close to the same price

No they dont they both bolt up the same they both put the tire out the same no way they strain the bearings more but i will agree wheels are close to the same price

No way that it would put more strain on the bearings?, how do you figure?

SteelHeadz said:

It bolts up the same as a wheel and puts the tire out ad far as one so how is it more strain then a backspaced wheel

That is correct only if the backspacing on the wheel is not on its maximum manufacturers spec. however, If it is the maximum backspacing available for fitment(factory specs.), adding up a wheel spacer or an adapter will increase the load farther from the center of the bearing and will ultimately wear the bearings prematurely.

SteelHeadz said:
That is correct only if the backspacing on the wheel is not on its maximum manufacturers spec. however, If it is the maximum backspacing available for fitment(factory specs.), adding up a wheel spacer or an adapter will increase the load farther from the center of the bearing and will ultimately wear the bearings prematurely.

Well if you add them both ya im sayin one or the other

Thanks all...........I have decided to go with new steel wheels, but I want to put 35 x 12.5 tires on 15" wheels. Any suggestions on tire/wheel/backspacing set up

Doubt you'll get 35's under there with only a 2.5" lift without some serious fender cutting. The 4" suspension/2" body will get you there. BUT...the more you raise the body, the more chances you have of misalligning other things like shift/T-Case linkages. Plus, it will misallign your fan and radiator.

*the following is based on research and lots of forum/write-up perusing, NOT actual hands on experience. If anyone has corrections or if I'm off base, let me know*

If you go 1" body lift, some of those probs will be avoided and you can get a 1" motor mount to get the fan where it's supposed to be. With a 4" suspension/1" body lift, you'll be in the ballpark you want to be. If you need more space, you can get small shackle lifts or cutout flares/flat fenders. Of course, you could also get more aggressige with the fenders with just a 4" lift and bigger bumpstops.

Doubt you'll get 35's under there with only a 2.5" lift without some serious fender cutting. The 4" suspension/2" body will get you there. BUT...the more you raise the body, the more chances you have of misalligning other things like shift/T-Case linkages. Plus, it will misallign your fan and radiator.

*the following is based on research and lots of forum/write-up perusing, NOT actual hands on experience. If anyone has corrections or if I'm off base, let me know*

If you go 1" body lift, some of those probs will be avoided and you can get a 1" motor mount to get the fan where it's supposed to be. With a 4" suspension/1" body lift, you'll be in the ballpark you want to be. If you need more space, you can get small shackle lifts or cutout flares/flat fenders. Of course, you could also get more aggressige with the fenders with just a 4" lift and bigger bumpstops.

Thanks for the help, you have helped a ton!

I will keep you posted.

Yeah...what ^ he ^ said.

Your YJ has a 5 X 4.5" lug pattern. With a, say 33 X 12.5 tire on a 8" rim with 3.75"-4" backspacing, you shouldn't need spacers. That's the most common set up out there.

Steel-little more durable and can be trued if the damage isn't awful (from my research anyway). But, they're heavier.

Alloy. Lighter, "purtier" (if you're into that stuff), and more expensive.

Thanks FLLawdog!

What is your opinion on this set up-35" x 12.5" on 15" x 8" steel wheels

Also with a 3.75" backset.......The less backset the less likely to rub when turning?

Attachments

• 113251-lg.jpg
    113251-lg.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Should work, but something that hasn't been said yet is the rear axle. The Dana 35 is weak and 35's can add extra strain, especially if you wheel hard.

Back