1. Sputtering at speeds over 40

I recently purchased a 1997 jeep wrangler se, 4 cyl, 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires. I know that the clutch needs to be replaced but when i drive it over 40 mph it starts sputtering and does not really want to accelerate anymore. i dont know if its the catalitic converter or what? Any advise anyone could give me would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Re: Sputtering at speeds over 40

You can test the converter by either loosening the exhaust where the manifold meets the pipe or remove the o2 sensor in front of the cat. If it runs better like that then you know its the converter.
    Yes, I did do that on purpose
    Yes, I can fix it

Likely the TPS or CPS. Also when is the last time you changed the plugs?
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    Likely the TPS or CPS. Also when is the last time you changed the plugs?

You know, i really have no work history for the jeep so i think its safe to say its been a long time. Im also not very mechanically inclined, what is the TPS or CPS? Thank you both for replying. How much does it cost to replace these parts mentioned? I hope i didnt invest in a cash pit.

Are the tires to big? Did it ever run good with 33" I really would not think you could do much over 40 mph with 2.4 L and 33" tires not with factory gears. but I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jimi003
    I recently purchased a 1997 jeep wrangler se, 4 cyl, 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires. I know that the clutch needs to be replaced but when i drive it over 40 mph it starts sputtering and does not really want to accelerate anymore. i dont know if its the catalitic converter or what? Any advise anyone could give me would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
    Is it a sputtering or a back fire? Any jumping when accelerating? Just asking because sputtering does not usually cause a vehicle to stop accelerating.

Go to your local auto parts grab a Haynes Manuel. Use that to help cover your bases.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi003 View Post
    You know, i really have no work history for the jeep so i think its safe to say its been a long time. Im also not very mechanically inclined, what is the TPS or CPS? Thank you both for replying. How much does it cost to replace these parts mentioned? I hope i didnt invest in a cash pit.
    TPS – Throttle Position Sensor - Indicates the Throttle body butterfly position to teh PCM
    CPS – Crank Position Sensor - Indicates the crank's position to the PCM and the revolutions.
    Both common fail parts and not sure on the price but not expensive.

If you don't have the work history I'd first fix the clutch then change the plugs wires , distributor cap and rotor. All for app $60 Then see if it still has the issue. These are a part of a normal tune up people do about every 30 to 40K mi.
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 01-02-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Along with the common tune-up, I'd remove the throttle body from the intake manifold, remove the sensors, and give the throttle body a good bench cleaning. It's easy to remove. Clean with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush.