engine swap for '89 4.0 Cherokee

jeepdaddy

I've searched the best I know how and can't find the info (I'm a novice with cars) and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I love my 1989 Jeep Cherokee (4.0, automatic), but the engine is now gone... I'll spare the details.

What years are compatible for an engine swap? I'd read that '87-'90 would work, but now I've heard other things. Maybe I could go through the late '90s?

I want to buy a used engine and have a mechanic drop it in. (That sounds so easy... I know it's not.)

Thanks for your help.

Randy

In the Cherokee section there's a thread going titled. Motor time started by jeeter32... there is some good info there

^Thanks. I had already seen that and most of the info is about swapping out another type of engine. I want to put another 4.0 inline 6 in it.

I specifically want to know what years Jeep made this same engine, and also what years could be made to work with a little help.

Thanks.

We was talking about stroking my 4.0 towards the last few pages... I have a 89 as well and my motor is starting to show signs of wear and tear so I was kinda wondering the same thing... from my understanding you can use any block whether its a Ho or not... I'd its a Ho then you have to drill and tap a whole for a knock sensorand put your top half on... the Ho heads will give more air flow... correct me of I'm wrong

My ho had no knock sensor on it but i believe the renix ones do have one.

Did you have to make a sensor hole for the knock sensor superj

Thanks everyone for your replies and the great info. I appreciate it.
I have a much better understanding of my options now.

Randy

If you swap from the renix motor to the HO motor, Pinning out the harnesses is not too bad if you have both harnesses and ECMs and take your time. this is the biggest obsticle with this swap, but it is a very good swap to do. The HO wiring is far more simpler than the Birds nest like Renix wiring.

Ok... ima see bout picking up a newly wrecked 97 and swap it over... hour how long should it take...

if you have everything, it shouldn't be hard. no more then a weekend.

we swapped a bmw motor from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder in about 2 days. all the fuel injection and everything. the jeep should be a little easier since they are both 6s

yes sir. i imagine the best way to do it would be to just get them side by side and start swapping

I would suggest getting a pre 95 4.0 HO. the 97 will be ODBII, and will incorporate a bit more wiring and sensor installs. I suggest looking for a 91-95 HO motor from a YJ, XJ, ZJ.

jps4jeep said:
I would suggest getting a pre 95 4.0 HO. the 97 will be ODBII, and will incorporate a bit more wiring and sensor installs. I suggest looking for a 91-95 HO motor from a YJ, XJ, ZJ.

I have a 97 in my 94

Congrats, not saying it can't be done, just adding information on how to make it easier.

also your comparing apple - oranges. you went from HO to HO motor. you can reuse your ECM with the newer ODBII motor.

rennix to HO motor is a bit more complicated, he is going to have to either Pin out his old body harness and ECM to the new motor harness or pin out the new ECM and motor harness to his old harness guage cluster and body harness

the ODBI has a lot less wires that need to be pinned out, making it less complicated.

Back