clutch pedal spring

cornhusker66

Hey guys, I got a 75 cj5. What or where does the spring on the clutch pedal hook to?

I am talking about the long spring that is attached at the top of clutch arm under the dash-inside the jeep-and hangs down.

I don't see anywhere to hook on -I assume the floor someplace?

Thanks!

The spring you're referring to is called the Overcenter Spring it connects to the upper end of the clutch pedal (this can be a hassle to get to if you're ham handed as I am, just be patient) you will need to either slide the seat back as far as it will go, or remove it entirely so you can position your shoulders to get in there. The other end of the spring connects to the support bracket (you'll need a third arm coming out of your forehead to hold a mini Mag light so you can see what you're doing, unless you can have a friend hold a light from the passenger side footwell). Above all, stay cool and patient and you'll get it done.

Yea, it looks tight in there! The spring is already hooked on the top of the pedal arm. I need to know where on the bottom of the spring it connects to.

There seems to be nothing to hook it to.

There's the support bracket up there to connect it to, when I went with Class M rod links I cautiosly remembered where that spot was, but in the end I had to just feel for it, it took me a good 40 minutes to find it again. I've got to repalce a horn relay soon I'll try to get my cell phone camera up there and post later.

Well, got some bad news Mark, I climbed into the footwell last night and given the cold weather we're having I couldn't get an eyeball (nor the cell phone camera) up to where that spring connects. All the underdash wiring is fim and hard on accout of that cold. If later this week I can have at it again using my heat gun to loosen up the wiring enough to get in there.

I found this diagram on a CJ3 page
image-missing.png

I think the CJ5 may be similar. No. 23 is the Overcenter spring. I'll keep checking.
I also found this link from another site (although I didn't have to drill through the firewall on mine, a mini needle nose vice grips did the job).
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/replacing-clutch-pedal-return-spring-1100454/

I think the pic by '80CJ give you the best idea on where that overcenter sping connects

Here's an even better pic;

5343594836_f032676e09_b-1.jpg

This isn't mine but very similar

Last edited:

Boy, that does look like a BIG PAIN in the rear. I know exactly where this spring goes.
Thanks for all of your replies!!

Back