CJ wide track or regular axles

big_o_tom

To the best of my knowledge I have never had a wide track axle. I have a model 20 rear end that has a crack in the center section where a ring gear bolt came loose and it also has worn out spring perches. I have a few more housings and was thinking about taking all of the gear's and axle's out of the bad housing and putting them in one of the good housing's. What I'm asking is how much difference is there in a regular housing and a wide track housing?

I believe the wide track model 20(1982 & later) is 3 or 4 inches wider than the earlier(pre-"82) narrow track model 20.

the wide track amc is 3 inches wider same with the dana 30 wide track is 46 inchs from tie rod to tie rod where the narrow track is 43 if i remember correctly

The reason that I was wanting to know was because I have 3 housing's, I think, and I was going to use one of them. I guess as long as the measurement's from end to end are the same I have nothing to worry about. I thought maybe that a wide track might be the same as a narrow but with an offset brake backing plate and longer axles. Anway, thank's guy's.

Back