How much space is under the back seat?

Bubba1393

I recently began a project to install a sub woofer in my 1998 Wrangler SE. I decided to attempt to mount the sub inside the back seat instead of putting it behind.
I have removed the seat, taken off the cover, and removed the cushion. I am currently taking measurements to determine how much space I have to work with, and I realized I have no idea how much space is between the bottom of my seat and the ground when it is in my Jeep. Rather than putting everything back together and putting the seat back I was hoping someone here would be able to know where I could find this information.

I don't need an extremely exact number, I'm guessing it's a couple inches but I would like to know for sure.

I'm trying to take out the least amount of cushion possible while making the box big enough. Here's what I'm looking to do so far:

__Cut out the 2 support bars in the middle of the frame and leave the 3 on each side
__This will give me about 13 in to use for the width of the box
__I'll mount the box to the top and bottom of the frame giving me a length of about 15 in
__ The sub is a shallowmount with a mounting depth of 3 in so I want to have a depth of 3.5 in
*These are all the measurements of the inside of the box, it will be larger because I'll be using 3/4 MDF

Sorry for all this information, but if anyone has any tips or ideas I would appreciate it, I'm still getting what I need and just started planning!

someone on here did a badass inside rear seat speaker. they'll put a link up. its sweet

Mine is 1" but I think they r all different I have an 03 I put 2 12" subs and two lights on my roll bars right where lights and sp was from factory hope I helped

Good luck

I.m sorry, just darn,maybe I need to shut up. It is an upgrade to your jeep,please excuse me.

Sorry I don't have the answer for you I put my speaker boxes under my front seats. If there's very much room under your rear seat it would be a great place to have a storage tray. For all your recovery gear. I raised my rear seat (sits way to low) now have about 3-4" under it. Metal slide out tray is a near future project. Good luck

As I have an old CJ the back seat leaves severely inadequte room for passengers so both in my '77 I had years ago and my '78 I now have I tossed the rear seat and built out of 16 ga steel a locker box, for about $50
5367669494_f2d938b710-1.jpg

5367669504_bd65e38e06-1.jpg

in which I put my tools, LaGrande chains and winch gear. In the front I cut holes for two 6x9's and the bass is incredible, although I do have eventual plans to add a pair of bass tubes into this box, I'm thinking they're unnessesary. Just a thought.

Last edited:

I hear ya. I remove my rear seat at times when just a one passanger is along for the ride. The rear seat I mounted right next to the tailgate so when back seat pass are riding with they at least have a place to put there feet. Can't wait to build a locker box under it.

I hear ya. I remove my rear seat at times when just a one passanger is along for the ride. The rear seat I mounted right next to the tailgate so when back seat pass are riding with they at least have a place to put there feet. Can't wait to build a locker box under it.

The last go, (for the $50) was for materials and labor. Had long ago gotten rid of my welder

I was the one that installed the sub in my rear seat. I'd say it was one of the best mods I've done to my jeep. You can see the whole writeup here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/accessories/22414-subwoofer-inside-jeep-wrangler-rear-seat.html

A couple of thoughts, based on my 2005 TJ (your back seat is probably different)
  • I'm guessing that you want the box to protrude out the bottom of the seat. If so, you'll have a hard time getting the seat cover back on.
  • The seat is slanted, so the front of the seat is higher than the back. In the back there is about 1 inch of space.
  • Your sub will move in and out as the bass hits, so you don't want anything pressed up against it or else you'll destroy your sub.
  • I ended up cutting a hole in my rear seat cover to accommodate the sub.

I had originally thought to install the amp under my seat, but there wasn't enough room. I did this instead:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/31154-skinny-pedal-jeep-tj-amp-bracket.html

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the info guys!
With my rear seat there was about 4" of clearance in the front and a little over 1" in the rear.

I just finished the project today and it turned out much better than I had anticipated! The box and the sub fit like a glove and the back seat is just as comfortable as ever.

The only thing I'm going to look into is filling the box with polyfill to see if it gives a little deeper bass.

Thanks for the writeup Terry! That is where I got the idea for the project and it helped me a lot along the way!
I'll get a few pictures up soon.

Back