350 Small Block need new axles...

ArmyDiver

I recently dropped in a 350 Small Block in my 04 TJ, I need to get new axles put in. I was looking at the G2 Danna 44's, suggestions on axels and lockers?! Also what gear ratio do you think I should run with 35s?

The front d30 is not good to 37" tires, especially when pushed by v8 power. The d30 is only marginal with 33" and 35" tires and a stock motor. Anything else is asking for trouble. I think you would do just fine with d44's.

I disagree there a guy on here that has a 383 pushin 500horse with the 30 up front and amc20 rear runnin 38 for ten years and put over 16000 offroad miles on it

Wow! Didn't think that was possible. Even with beefed up axles. Guys?

I disagree there a guy on here that has a 383 pushin 500horse with the 30 up front and amc20 rear runnin 38 for ten years and put over 16000 offroad miles on it
Doesn't make it right, or smart. Could be 1000hp and 52" tires, either way it's a ticking time bomb. Using minuscule axles with high horsepower and the leverage of large tires is a recipe for disaster and it's not a good idea to recommend it just because somebody has limped it along or been lucky.

We have blew up more 44s with v8 power then 30s. Might as well spend a little extra money get a nine inch for the rear. And a currie custom nine cor the front. Or better yet. How about some rockwells off a unimog or something. That would be cool.

In all seriousness if your gunna do it. Spend a few extra bucks and if you do go for a 44s. Make sure you are not going bigger than 35s. Front may be ok going bigger but rear would hate life. Which is why i say the nine inch. The will live to 1000 hp and huge tires and there is more after market support than any diff out there.

i am the one witht he 383 and the amc 20 with the dana 30 up front i agree with bounty hunter i have been very lucky with my axles sofar but i am running them till they blow apart and then i am moveing up to a min of a dana 60 but yet in my def. a amc 20 built up as i have done mine is still just as stronge if not stronger then a d44 for one it has a larger ring and pinion but i built my jeep on a budget and when i first built the axles i wasnt planing on running the big motor originally it was going ta be the stock 4 banger in it but circumstances changed when my motor blew a rod and i had the stroker sitting her waiting ta go into my camaro witch got totaled hence it ended up in the jeep so if i had ta do it all over i would start out with the dana 60's front and rear with chrmo shafts and lockers

Thanks for all the insight guys, I wish that I could go with the 60's but they are out of my price range for now. So the 44's it is, for use as a daily driver what gear ratio do you think that i should go with, I want it to be good for a daily driver but still do what I need it to off road. Also I'm looking to do a Full Traction Suspension 6" Long Arm Suspension System with M-Force Monotube Gas Shocks, thoughts or better suggestions?

D44 front, I would go with a 9" rear. probably cost the same to build as a D44 rear, but with higher horse power, you'll really appreciate the added pinon snout bearing on the 9"

and FYI, I've blow apart D44 chromo shafts with a bone stock motor, motor was just off idle, tire was severly wedged between rocks and could not see it.

Thanks for all the insight guys, I wish that I could go with the 60's but they are out of my price range for now. So the 44's it is, for use as a daily driver what gear ratio do you think that i should go with, I want it to be good for a daily driver but still do what I need it to off road. Also I'm looking to do a Full Traction Suspension 6" Long Arm Suspension System with M-Force Monotube Gas Shocks, thoughts or better suggestions?

Let me know if I can help with any of this. I sell both Full traction and other suspension product as well as axles from Dynatrac, and Currie. I would go with the 4.56s for 35s and 4.88s for 37s (depending on trans). Did I miss what trans you have?

Allen

I recently dropped in a 350 Small Block in my 04 TJ, I need to get new axles put in. I was looking at the G2 Danna 44's, suggestions on axels and lockers?! Also what gear ratio do you think I should run with 35s?

With the V8 power you are adding and running 35" tires, D44s on both ends would be minimum I would recommend.

Even better would be to upgrade to a D60 in the rear and either a D50 or D60 in the front. If you tend to have a heavy right foot, go D60s on both ends.

As for the gear ratio, 4:88s would put your STOCK (with the 4.0L) RPM back into balance. Without knowing more about your engine swap, I don't have enough info to make a "sure" change.

It would also help to know what you plan to do with this rig... (Highway; Hwy/trail; trail only; extreme)

With the additional weight you are adding, will you be adding heavier front springs? Is the Jeep lifted... how much... long-arm or short-arm? All very important to make a proper recommendation.

go with the 44s like said above
I blow at least 1 30 a season with 4.0 on 33s , the only reason I stay with the 30 is I have a stock pile of them laying around in the yard otherwise I would go to a 44 and end the carnage

Back