Couple quick questions..

TeddESP

I have a 93 YJ with a hard top and when I go over bumps it's kinda noisy. I was wondering if there was an easy solution to fix this... The bolts are tight on the back and all but two of the screws on the front stay tight. The second question I have is where can I locate the major grounds? All of my dash gauges don't work with the exception of my fuel gauge, which just started working. Thanks in advance.

one of them is right above your left knee. there should be a black wire that is screwed to the edge of the cluster surround.

then there is one on the firewall above the intake. see this picture, its the thin metal colored braided piece behind hte wires

20110116111959-1.jpg

Thank you sir. When it gets a little warmer and I have more ambition I'll check those out. :p I fear I may have to rip out my dash and check wires also. When I put a fuse in that runs the gauges it works for a while but then eventually it shorts out I guess.

When you say your hardtop is noisy, is it because it's moving on the tub rails? You can install some foam weatheristripping between the tub and top then bolt it down. As for some of the bolts coming loose, that's not good. You need to figure that out whether it's using lock washer, thread locker, or whatever, they need to stay tight.

If the noise is simply from the hardtop itself you might think about installing some kind of liner to deaden the noise. Check out the write-up on Stu Olson's excellent web site for an idea of what can be done...
Hard Top Paint and Carpeting - 1

phall92139 said:
When you say your hardtop is noisy, is it because it's moving on the tub rails? You can install some foam weatheristripping between the tub and top then bolt it down. As for some of the bolts coming loose, that's not good. You need to figure that out whether it's using lock washer, thread locker, or whatever, they need to stay tight.

If the noise is simply from the hardtop itself you might think about installing some kind of liner to deaden the noise. Check out the write-up on Stu Olson's excellent web site for an idea of what can be done...
Hard Top Paint and Carpeting - 1

All the bolts in the back stay tight where it bolts to the tub. The loose/missing screws are from where the hard top screws into the top of the windshield. Some of the screws just won't tighten anymore.. I think they're stripped inside where the screw goes because the screws are fine. I just want to fix this so I don't have to worry about hitting a bump and possibly cracking my windshield.

what I did to make my hard top move less was I put some dry wall screws in above the windshield it holds alot better than the originals

"I see," said the blind man. And if the drywall screws mentioned by jeremy29 don't work, can you tap and rethread the holes for a little larger screw? If not, can the holes be drilled for a heli-coil insert maybe?

nah, its thin sheet metal so no tapping. i think there is a repair kit on the market for the windshield for stripped out screws but i cannot remember who sells it. i think the going to larger screws would be the best fix

I think I'll try the bigger screw thing because it sounds like the easiest. :p but thanks for the feedback so far. I love this forum.

Update: I put bigger screws in and that hasn't seemed to help anything. I think the next step is taking it off and putting some sort of weather stripping.

you are supposed to have a strip in there that seals out rain and probably absorbs some shock from bumps. its something like a 3/4"x1" strip or something close to that. i got it from the rv section or window trim section at walmart. stick it on the top though, not on the windshield or you will have to scrape it off when you want to run your bikini top

Mine uses only in the front, but it is the targa top, so I am not sure if it's the same for the one piece top.

mine has that size only on the front. down the sides, it has some really thin strips that i think would normally go on the bottom of a slide up and down window on a house. the strips are like an inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. they stick to the bottom of the hardtop and seal against the tub when the top is bolted down

So another update... The screws are all secure and im now realizing the problem. Above where the screws go in there's something that looks like a rivet. The problem is that they have been falling out over time, I watched one break on the way to work today and it got a little quieter. Has this happened to anyone before?

i dont even attach my hard top at the front. all the screws in the back stay tight and i was having the same problem with the front that you were having so i just said screw it. i havent had any problems

no, but if all your rivets pop out and you don't want that strip anymore, send it to me. my top was missing it so i made a temporary one from aluminum but want the factory one because its so windy where i live that when i am heading towards the ocean, the top lifts up if its not bolted at the windshield.

Back