1. Squealing on startup

So I've got this '05 TJ Sport, with the 4.0. Everytime I've started it up in the last few days, she's made the most god-awful squealing sound I've ever heard come out of a car. Serpentine belt appears to be in good condition, I can't say if it's original or not, but I can say for sure that I've never changed it myself. I don't know if I'm off-base here, but the sound seems to be coming out of the alternator. I haven't had any problems with it up until this point, but now my Jeep's been sitting for a week and I'm tired of not being able to drive it.

HELP!

Seriously tho, any ideas would be awesome. I'm not looking to throw money at every moving part under the hood until the problem's solved by the process of elimination.

Re: Squealing on startup

Have a look at your pulleys, if they appear polished, you've got to change the belt. Otherwise, even a new belt will be to no avail.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

The idler pully (tensioner) is a common failure. Don't know that that is the issue but worth looking at.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

if u get a glazeing on the belt they will squeal something awful but as that is a 4.0 i would check belt tensioner and atlenator take the belt off and give them a spin by hand check for bad bearings in the pulleys as well as water pump
    my jeep is dead