31x10.50's on Factory Wrangler Wheels

Hey man as seen above I had the same problem with my 97' TJ. I went ahead and put 31x10.50's on there and I only get rub at literally full turn radius. Which really is not that much worry about at all, even if you take yours in the woods like I take mine. I also have a 3' Suspension lift on mine but I believe just going ahead and putting them on there will literally make no difference at all. If so, just cut a piece of the control arm out lol (a hacksaw is a man's best friend).

I have ballistic Fab 1.5" spacers. They are great. Call before you order to specify you are using factory wheels not aftermarket as factory has a smaller radius on the centering hub. I orders mine just to find out the wheels didn't fit onto the hub. I called ballistic and sent them back to em. They milled them down for me to my measuments and now they work perfect.
I don't know if this will be typical to all manufacturers tho.

Hey everyone!

My son wants to put wheel spacers on my 2004 TJ sport that I'm giving him for graduation. It's got stock 15" rims and brand new 31x10.50 general grabbers. How much spacing would it need... to give it an aggressive look? I was looking at 1.50 but when I called Quadratec about what they carried they said it was way to much. They recommended 1.25.

I want to get some opinions b4 I do it. I seen a set of rough country 1.50 for $59.00 a set on another site. I asked Quadratec if they carried them for the same price and they told me they don't support rough country because they don't have hub centric spacers.

So I chatted with Rough Country to see if the ones I was looking at were hub centric because I was told to use hub centric spacers and they LITERALLY texted me back and said who ever told you that is full of crap...you don't need hub centric for your jeep.

HA, dang, I haven't a clue on what I should get. Sorry if i just unloaded haha I have been looking for several hours for answers without any real answers. So does anyone know or have the experience on what I should get for the aggressive look. BTW the fenders are stock fenders.

Thanks in advance :p

Way to go buddy, you just opened a whole big can of worms. ;)

Ok, so here's the deal: Factory TJ wheels appear to be hub centric upon inspection. They also use lug-centric type lug nuts. Most people will tell you that you're better off using Spidertrax or similar spacers if you have to use spacers because they are hub centric.

I personally have a set of the Rough Country spacers because of the price. My experience was that when I first installed them I was rushing to get the wheels back on and didn't tighten the lugs (wheels to the spacer, not spacer to hub) evenly. I had nasty wobbles and vibrations all over the road. I tried a bunch of different solutions (balancing tires, alignment, etc.) and finally found out that because the spacer wasn't hub centric to the wheels and I didn't tighten the lugs evenly the wheels had slipped a bit and weren't centered on the spacer. I had to take the wheels back off and VERY CAREFULLY torque each lug and do this in the correct pattern for each wheel. After doing that, I haven't had any more problems with them.

Jason4x4 said:
Way to go buddy, you just opened a whole big can of worms. ;)

Ok, so here's the deal: Factory TJ wheels appear to be hub centric upon inspection. They also use lug-centric type lug nuts. Most people will tell you that you're better off using Spidertrax or similar spacers if you have to use spacers because they are hub centric.

I personally have a set of the Rough Country spacers because of the price. My experience was that when I first installed them I was rushing to get the wheels back on and didn't tighten the lugs (wheels to the spacer, not spacer to hub) evenly. I had nasty wobbles and vibrations all over the road. I tried a bunch of different solutions (balancing tires, alignment, etc.) and finally found out that because the spacer wasn't hub centric to the wheels and I didn't tighten the lugs evenly the wheels had slipped a bit and weren't centered on the spacer. I had to take the wheels back off and VERY CAREFULLY torque each lug and do this in the correct pattern for each wheel. After doing that, I haven't had any more problems with them.

I don't think this is good. I had the exact same problem. Because the hub on the spacer is bigger and doesn't actually go into the wheel the back surfice of the wheel does not make contact with the spacer leaving only the extra radius of the hub against the wheel. Therefore if you don't follow the correct pattern they will wobble. Even if you get em on straight the fact that the rim is setting away from the spacer puts a huge amount of extra strain on the lug posts.
Just my 2¢.

Spider trax spacers have the hub centers and fit the hubs. I run them and have had no problems. Trust me they take a beating. I run stock tj rims on my Cherokee with 33s. And the wife daily drives it and if I'm driving it the only times it's below 4500 rpm is if it's off. Lol

Attachments

• image-430900303.png
    image-430900303.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 941
Back