Chevy TPI 8 Cylinder Swap

JRSpen2009

Hey folks, I'm new to the Jeep world, and really like the 258 I6 in my 1988 yj but want more power and fuel economy. I've got a fresh rebuilt 305 tpi motor in my shop with everything ready to go. Would this be a wise decision??? Or should I rebuild and modify the 258??? Any and all help is appreciated!!!

If i was doin a v8 swap i would opt for a 350. Unless the 305 has better compression cam etc. But it is an easy swap.

It's been worked over and it's a full roller with an upgraded cam. I've got a few 350's too but no use for the 305 unless I put it in the Jeep.

I went to Novak's site and found the motor mounts and bell housing adapter I need. I also was able to lay out the exhaust which is going to be a 3 inch system. I'd like to do a small lift like 2" but don't really wanna spend a whole bunch doing it since I'm not putting monster tires on it ...

That will be a fun ride. Im doing a 350 swap into my cherokee as we speak but im fabing my headers and stuff myself save some bucks. And nothin sounds better than a sbc

This is very true!!!!!! Especially through a 3" exhaust with a nice high flow muffler!! I've got a few sets of camaro headers if you're interested ... they fit perfect and exit in such a way that even the aftermarket y-pipe fits!!!!

I'd put it in, the 305 has a number of issues, mostly due to lack of aftermarket support and the crappy flowing heads. but I would still put it in, if you everr wanted to step up to a different SBC, should be a complete bolt in swap. (same motor mounts, bell housing bolt pattern etc..

I am really partial to the tune port injected 350's found in 87-92 F-body's, stupid easy to get power out of, reliable, and best of all.... CHEAP

Yup. I have a roller 355 going in my cherokee. Fairly tame torque monster. Vortec heads and a holley fuel injection kit. Should be fun.

Yeah they're really tight to the block and even fit between the frame rails. They're even set up for a passenger side exhaust!!!

i would do it. 305 is ok for non towing vehicle so i don't see why you would have trouble in a jeep

The TPI 305 puts out more HP and torque than a TBI 350, and uses the same heads. As for super HP and torque I'm not worried, I'm just trying to give my wrangler a little more power, more reliable, and have some fun doing it!!! I'm not going rock climbing, or mudding, I just wanna enjoy some fire roads and trails. I've had too many 1000 HP toys that served no purpose, and were fun until something broke (which happens a lot!!!! ). I enjoy watching others get crazy with their toys, but the craziest I plan on getting is tooling around my uncle's place on some muddy trails that my 4 wheeler can make it through easily.

I've owned 2 IROC Z's, one with the 350 tpi and one with a 305 tpi and the 305 definitely was quicker. The 350 seemed to drink gas a heck of a lot more too.

Back