shackle flip

timmy350

I have been hearing many different opinions on a shackle reverse kit has anyone used one I plan on doing a soa and yj springs on my cj7 while I was under there i was trying to figure out if I really want to do it just leave the shackles in the front I hear they ride a lot smoother

ok u do get a smoother ride but u allso will get a little bit of front axle hop on hard brakeing a little more flex when offroading i have it in my jeep cj7 and i am seriousely thinking of fliping them back to stock

you do get a better ride, but you do not get better flex, the spring is goping to flex the same way regardless of where the swing shackle is located. I personally don't like shackle reversals because it creates a lot of un-neccessary lift, when the axle articulates, it will pull the tire away from the obsticle that you are trying to go over, in the front, with an SOA, it lends itself to creating real bad axle wrap.

If this si a jeep that will see the majority of it's life on the streets, then do it, if you plan to wheel it hard, I would avoid it.

Awsome thank you for your advise I'm now sure I'm not going to as this will be a 50/50 jeep on and off road around here I have a lot of choices I can find mud, snow (sometimes), rocks and sand. And as much as I like smoother ride I would like to stop when I need to without wheel hop I also plan on some yj springs I'm told smoother ride but it won't lift you since I'm already doing that with my soa

Hi Timmy,
I built my own shackle reverse on my 73cj5 and love it. I used CJ7 Springs /w spring under. I haven't had any wheel hop to speak of. On road the jeep handles much much better! I moved my hole front axle about 4" forward from what it used to be, which takes a lot of the weight off the front end dispersing the weight of the engine much better probably another reason for handling the road better.As far as off road I believe it really hasn't hurt one bit. Maybe if your a rock crawler. I stay mostly in the mud. If your adventurist make your own. There's a lot of quality shackle reverse kits out there. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4,736
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,925
Wow great pictures I like it and still kinda on the fence about it but I do plan on fabbing everything anyways because I'm going to be running toyota axles under it I know that sound like a jeep sin but I got them at a really good price and ther wider than the narrow tracks I have now only problem is the spring perches are an inch wider than my cj and with one up against the diff I gotta move my springs apart 1/2in on each side. I pretty much have it pictured in my head how its gonna go I just have to get it all together the rear will be cake cause I can cut angle and weld the perches on I still have time to think though I still have a lot of materials and adapter to gather thank you everyone for their input

Hi matt. Can u get some better pictures of the back or your front leafs? I guess im not understanding the shackle reverse system. If im worried about my approach angle, it looks like you still have a drop in the front. Only its now a fixed (welded or bolted) front point. Im guessing the shackles are in the rear now?
What if a person just wanted to put the shckles i the rear and avoid that front cross bar assembly, and hook up closer to the frame?
That would put the drop shackles in the rear of the leafs, and improve the approach angle.

You can get aa weld in shackle reversal instead of a bolt jn, then no cross bar. Check 4wd.com for it, ijust saw it last night

Back