lockers

The amount of splines an axle has. It's the "teeth" I guess you could call it that is on the end that engages in the locker or differential.

That's what I thought it was, but didn't want to assume and order something that doesn't work. Haha. What is the best to get?

If I only buy one set is it better to putthem on the front or back? And I have 2002 tj. And I'm on a budget so whichever is going to be best but run a fair price

I run an aussie locker in the rear and Detroit tru trac in the front. I would do rear first. Unless you have a factory trac lock diff.

You can either call a dealership with your vin. Or you can lift both back tires off with e brake off and veh in park or gear try to turn one wheel by hand. If the other wheel turns opposite and they turn easily you don't have a trac lock.

You don't want to put an auto locker up front. You'll need a manually selectable locker for the front.

For the rear, there are many choices. Selectable lockers will allow you to have no ill effects while on road, and to be fully locked offroad. Auto lockers can and will cause your Jeep to react differently while taking turns, and they are harder on the axle due to the sudden lock-up. If you are running larger tires and an auto locker on a stock axle, you increase the risk of damage. Many have done it with success, but you have to be gentle with the skinny pedal. The Dana 35 is a good axle for it's intended purpose, which involves stock sized tires. This is why they put the D44s in the packages that came with the 30" and 31" tires like some of the TJ and LJ Saharas and Rubi's.

Not sure what they're using in these newer, Hummer-lookin' things with Jeep emblems on them :p

i have a 97 TJ i run a d35 with factory trac lock and a lockrite in the front on the street in 2 wheel drive i dont notice the locker at all the odd popping and clicking when making tight turns but no issues,on icy roads it becomes a handfull to drive

I agree with the auto locker in the front. That's why I went with the tru trac. It's a limited slip. While not a full locker it works great. Sometimes just need to tap the breaks to get her to switch bias but on slippery roads don't even notice it. My next rear locker is going to be an auburn ected locker.

Since your budget minded, lunch box style locker in the rear will get you started. Aussie IMHO makes the best bang for the buck lunch box locker. you can have your rear locked for about $200. as for the front, I would just do the same. on dry and wet pavement, you will never know it is there, in 4wd in snow, it will drive similar to a FWD car around corners. some poeple complain about it, personally I would just deal with it.

Back