Tube Door Build

jackflack44

Has anyone done it? Is it not cost effective? I was thinking possibly I could make my own and then rhinoline them or something along those lines.

It's cost effective only if the materials are just leftover tubings. If i had to buy the tubings for this project, it would had cost $87.00 a stick(20ft) , electricity for the welding, argon gas, welding wire, paint and grinder discs. I'm almost finished with one door but the weather is not letting me get motivated with 17 degrees and a windchill of 0 degrees. The only thing i have left is the door latch and handle and the mount for the upper door window.

Window mounts on tube doors?? Hummmm Like screen doors on submarines?

Anyway there are many people who make their own and there are plans out there. Do a bit of searching.

$87.00 a stick?!?!? Whatcha making them out of? They don't need to be chromoly or nuthin'. They're just doors.

I have seen pictures where people have made them using the swing-out spare tire mount off of and s-10 blazer.

I'll take some pics this weekend in the shop. What i want the end result to be is having an open tube door that latches , has the option of having a detachable aluminum diamond plate skin and is able to accept a TJ upper door window when needed. I have layed it all in the door jamb of my CJ for fitting and it will work, i just havent finished the mount for the windows and the latch. BTW, you will need a pipe bender as well for this project. I have a 12ton pipe bender that works well with the correct size die.

That'll do the trick. That's the same setup i have in my shop. I mounted it on the main base of my english wheel since it takes 4 bubba's to move it due to it's weight.

Here's the unfinished tube doors. After i finish the door latch mechanism, the center support tube will be welded in place and then finish the upper door window mount. The last thing to do is to cut out a diamond aluminum plate for the door that's removable during the summer.

Attachments

• photo[1] (2).JPG
    photo[1] (2).JPG
    127 KB · Views: 4,457
  • photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    98 KB · Views: 1,018
  • photo[2].JPG
    photo[2].JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 652

Looks pretty good, are you only adding one support bar?
Thanks. I'll most likely make a cross support bar on the center and plasma cut a skull in the middle with a steel plate that will also be part of the gusset.

Very nice Mikey...when are you going to finish mine?
Thanks Bud, whenever your ready, i'll build you a set.

I recently got screwed out of a hardtop deal for my CJ but i have gotten another lead on one and this one's gonna be made of steel from what i was told. I will check it out this weekend and see if it's something i can build with a targa hardtop. After this, then i can continue with the tube door project.

Back