Electric fan Conversion

zatog

Hey does anyone know anything about an elctric fan conversion and if it would give me some more power...and how hard it is to insatall.

I dont have the link ready but there are multiple conversations about an electric fan install. It isnt very hard at all and will gain about 5 hp is what most would say. When i did mine i bought a dc controller which is awesome just a little pricey about 100 and they have a full wiring diagram that is pretty simple. also if you go to the junk yard look for a taurus with the 3.8 motor and snag that fan and shroud 3 of the 4 bolt holes line up on the shroud and that cost me 35 bucks.

As far as power goes with out regearing the best things you could do is the electric fan, a snorkel(cold air/ram air intake)upgraded distributer and wires most people use spit fire or accel, a bored throttle body and intake, and 19# injectors from an older model 5.0 mustang. everything separately is minimal power but when done together its much more noticeable. Dont get me wrong it is not going to be a stock car but it will give you more power on the highway going up hills and into head winds.

p.s im assuming you have a 2.5 and want more power because you are dragging a$$ with your 31's i regeared about 2 months ago and i cannot be happier its night and day power and torque when running lower gears. the only thing is it's about the same cost as all those modifications plus a little more for the gears and install(unless you the the tools and mechanical knowhow to do it on your own) worth every penny though.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that i understand the frustrations

I used a flex-a lite 485. Works great. Hardest part is getting the stock fan off. As far as power gains, I couldn't say but my mpg saw a little bump

I think the Flex-a-lite model for the YJ is the FLX475, but I am not sure.

I did that one on a '92 YJ 2.5 that I had several years back. It was the most noticeable improvement I made for power and fuel economy. Pretty simple install.

You have a 2.5L Jeep. It'll never be a powerhouse, but I ran 32x11.50's on that 4 banger and I could actually use 5th gear up mild inclines on the highway.

Many scoff at the Flex a lite because you can do it on the cheap with a Ford Taurus fan but for me it was money well spent. Everything bolted right up, wiring kit was EZ, etc.

Bottom line = do it, you won't regret it.

I have dual flex-a lite fans on my CJ5. It has worked great. As for power gains and such I really think it's so small you really wouldn't notice. For offroading they are great. I have my fans on a switch which is great,Go threw a deep water hole or mud hole just hit the switch and turn them off. Thus stopping mud and water flying over my engine. Very nice upgrade. If you start to run a lot of electric things you should consider adding another battery. Dual optima's are sweet!

Why spend 200 dollars on a flex-a-lite fan when you get could get the Taurus fan for under 50 dollars all day at any junk yard. to each his own i guess i just like to keep money in my pocket or spend it on other mods.

the only downfall to the ford fan is its high amp draw on start up the two speed model draws 40 plus amps when starting on high speed just need some good quality relays

........and if you live in a consumer desert like Oregon, the nearest 70/80 amp (non Chinese) relay is in Georgia as of 15Aug12!

.......at least it gives me time to review forum posts on varied methods of wiring so it's not all bad :)

Last edited:
Back