Great Deal! Leads to a new Question

Red Mutt Ranch

Ok I just got the deal of deals on a set of axles (Dana 44 and 12 bolt), skyjacker 6 inch lift springs, steering gear box, and spring hangers all for $200. Well now I'm wondering how to make these springs flex like I would like. I have heard that if I remove the two center leafs and that will help. Any suggestions?

Ok I just got the deal of deals on a set of axles (Dana 44 and 12 bolt), skyjacker 6 inch lift springs, steering gear box, and spring hangers all for $200. Well now I'm wondering how to make these springs flex like I would like. I have heard that if I remove the two center leafs and that will help. Any suggestions?

Ya might want to start with telling us what it is going on. I mean we're all guessing it's a Jeep, but which model/year?

For starters, you're going to need a lot more work to go along with that much lift no matter what year it is. Give us some more info and we'll go from there.

TC

I have a 1978 CJ5 with a 258 I6 t18 4 speed Dana 300 T case and 4:56 gears that are going into the axles that are still in the mail. I have extended the rear of the frame 16 inches and front 3 inches, along with re bracing the hole frame. It's still at powder coating. I was going to go with the revolver shackles but have since canceled my order, since talking to a lot of guys that have them that hate them and I rode up a trail with a guy that has them on his cj7 and I was less than impressed. So I am going with just some plain 4 inch shackles.

My leaf are not that extreme of a lift. They will put me at about 8 inches over stock. That is including the spring over lift. That is because I am changing out the shackles to the shorter ones. Sorry for leaving aall that out.

4 inch lift springs and SOA are a very tall combination and won't flex all that well, plus your spring wrap on both front and rear is gonna be a biotch to try to control.
I mentioned in your previous thread, the flatter the leaf spring the better it will flex. based soley on what you have writen above, I will try to be as clear as possible.. Really flexy suspensions are over rated. Most offroad rigs now a days that still are body on frame are built with only 2-4 inches of uptravel and probably about ~8 of down travel, this is done be using an appropriate length shackle and being aware of the shackle angle, I like to see the shackle at about 45 degrees to the frame and use a flat spring. limited up travel, but the axle will droop out nice. with limited up travel, your droop is "forced" meaning that the weight of the vehicle is being applied to the drooped axle and will help maintain traction. you mentioned you havea CJ5, a really good freind of mine has a 75 CJ5, he is SOA and uses flat stock YJ springs, the wheel base is stretched slightly, he has about 2-3" up travel and runs a 37" tire. he sits about as high as a TJ with 33's and a 4" lift. the jeep simply just works awesome. I will look for pictures of it when I get home (photobucket is blocked on work PC)

Back