jeep parts

bob

I just came across a pretty good deal. Atleast I thought it was. I traded a chevy 400 small block for two CJ7's. One is road worthy and the other is for parts. My questions are: (1)the parts jeep has a 4 cyl and a 4-speed trans, while the good one has a 6 cyl and a 3-speed trans. How do I tell if its one of the "good". I don't really have a problem with the 3-speed transmissions, just less shifting involved. (2)the parts jeep has a DANA 44 in the back already, will everything go right over? What about the brake cables and driveshaft. the parts jeep doesn't have a driveshaft.

What years are the two jeeps? The good one is definately pre-1980... but the second one (if newer than that is an 86). if this is the case you cant swap the transmissions that easily because the good one has a dana 20 while the newer one has a dana 300. Additionally if your parts jeep is an 86, then you probably want to swap both axles because your good jeep is running narrow track axles, while the parts one may have wide tracks.

The potenially good news (if its an 86) is that all 4 cylinder CJs in that year with dana 44s had 4.10 gears.

Back