Airbag light..

TJ_Jeep

Well today my airbag light has came on and goes off for a few seconds then comes back on for another 3 minutes or so, I don't even know where to start with airbags, any help or advice is appreciated. Oh the horn also stopped working when the light came on too..

TJ_Jeep said:
Well today my airbag light has came on and goes off for a few seconds then comes back on for another 3 minutes or so, I don't even know where to start with airbags, any help or advice is appreciated. Oh the horn also stopped working when the light came on too..

Personally,and I might just be being a big wuss here, I wouldn't even mess with the airbags. You might just be better off taking it in somewhere. Again, this is merely my opinion, and one of the more knowledgeable guys on here may be able to tell you something, but the last thing I would want is to somehow accidentally set one of those things off or something. I don't think ill ever understand why in this great world they would put airbags in a jeep. It just doesn't make sense.

Thats a typical symptom of a bad clockspring. The clockspring houses a ribbon type wiring within a cylindrical plastic housing located behind the steering wheel. This enables you to have electrical control for the horn and cruise controls along with the circuit for the airbag squibb. You will need to remove the airbag module, steering wheel, upper and lower steering column covers and disconnect a few wiring connectors to replace the clockspring assembly. If you decide to this yourself, i can give you the step by step procedures but you will need to follow them carefully as directed. The airbag module contains a class 3 explosive charge and may cause injury or death if your not carefull.

I've been reading where there is a recall on the 97 and 98 clockspring, and says the dealer will replace it. It was posted in 2004, Do you think they'll still replace it being its 7 years later?

It's worth a shot. I dont see why a dealer would deny a recall even if it is 7 yrs old unless the part is no longer in production. Im pretty sure it's still in production though. What they will do is run your VIN# to see if your jeep is involved in the recall and if it is, you get to save yourself some dough.

UPDATE: Went over there and he says my particular jeep wasn't one of the recalls, even though the recall was for a 98 jeep wrangler. I don't understand that.

The recall is traced through the VIN based on build date, production facility and source of parts supplier.

Back