NEED JEEP EXPERT ADVISE/WISDOM PLEASE HELP. diagnose my problem please!!!

Imakrazy

hey guys i was just driving home from my night school for about 30minutes and i stopped at a parking garage to make a video so i could put my jeep on craigslist to go back to a yj. i have a 6cyl 4.0 tj w 120000 miles..i have had minor problems with the starter in the past with cold weather but recently nothing bad. anyway after i was done the video and started moving again and after like 2minutes for the first time ever my check gauges light came on so i immediatly pull over and open the hood and theres a high pitch noise like theres pressure being relesed from maybe my oil pan. and before i turned the car off the gauge was almost on 0. i let the jeep cool off for about 10 minutes, the high pitch noise and what sounded like my oil bubbling stopped and i went and got antifreeze and filled my engine coolant even tho it seemed to be the right amount..now my question to you guys is can you diagnose my problem? i just got my jeep buddy to tow me home i think im going to goto quadratec and get a whole new oil pan and maybe a starter because its not starting now. btw i checked how much oil i had and it was above safe just slightly even after all the bubbling and smoke. please help if you have any insite at all on this. when i turn on now all i hear is a click and no lights are popping up except for i need gas light but it came on right before i broke down. thanks for any answers you may have and your time reading this

If you try to start it you should hear the fuel pump turning on to. If you don't have lights check your batery connection. I have a major problem with that. I don't know what could make your oil boil but if no one posts an answer i can ask around.... Sorry I couldn't be more help.

the lights turn on and everything so i think im alright on the battery. i think im going to buy a new oil pan and starter motor today and get someone with a little more knowledge of jeeps to help me install the parts. also im surer it needs an oil change now too

Oil pan ? Is your jeep leaking oil ? It sounds like your jeep over heated,loud high pitch sound,the sound of boiling fluid,get one hot enough the oil pressure drops to 0 psi. Can you turn your motor over by hand,to see if it is sized or not.

unless you have oil leaking from the pan there is no reason to replace it. I would change the oil, filter, and check the old oil for any milky looks. If the old oil is milky there is a good possibility you warped the head, blew a head gasket etc. The milky substance comes from water in the oil. I agree with above see if you can turn motor by hand. I would also suggest you pull your starter and have it checked. could be a bad ground, hot wire etc making it act strangely.

I agree with je4ryk. Its sounds scarily close to an engine seize. If you can turn the motor by hand you're okay there, but when was the last time you had your oil changed? And is this a manual or auto? I once had left my suburban running in the parking lot at work, and when I came out after about ten minutes the head gasket had blown. When a vehicle gets that hot, it can usually make it not want to turn over any more. So that's something else to check on. Pull out the dipstick and see if the oil looks milky.

82CJ7JEEP said:
unless you have oil leaking from the pan there is no reason to replace it. I would change the oil, filter, and check the old oil for any milky looks. If the old oil is milky there is a good possibility you warped the head, blew a head gasket etc. The milky substance comes from water in the oil. I agree with above see if you can turn motor by hand. I would also suggest you pull your starter and have it checked. could be a bad ground, hot wire etc making it act strangely.

Lol! We must have been writing this at the same time. Haha! I also wanted to say that if you did blow the head gasket, it would make the oil pressure drop.

unfortunatly its automatic..i just went to quadratec and bought the pan gasket and a starter motor. its all returnable so if it turns out not to be that i can just take it back. before like 2months ago i was completely ignorant to any mechanical parts to a car but can someone please tell me how i would turn it over by hand? sorry if thats a stupid question id definitly like to try that. also the oil is a little bit light colored so i wouldnt be surprised if it actually was a head gasket and hopefully that would be all that needs to be replaced

Well replacing a head gasket isn't such a joy either, but its definitely better than a motor. You can turn the engine over by hand with the wheel that your fan is connected to. Don't use the fan to do it though. You don't wanna bend it.

Also, if it was your head gasket, the oil would be opaque and a kind of whitish-light-brown. You most likely wouldn't be able to see through it, if that makes sense.

thanks for the help guys im gonna meet up w a buddy who has a little more knowledge than me and il let you guys know what happens

You're very welcome. I always come here to get the best advice in the world. Keep us updated on the outcome. Good luck. I hope she's okay.

You said the check engine gauges light came on. Start with that first. Go to Auto Zone, Anvance Auto or any place like that and have them check what codes there is.

might make sure your oil pump didn't give up the ghost while you're at it, i had that happen to me. engine got hot before i knew it, my light came on and my hissing noise turned into a painful sqealing noise and a new engine.

but can someone please tell me how i would turn it over by hand? sorry if thats a stupid question id definitly like to try that. also the oil is a little bit light colored so i wouldnt be surprised if it actually was a head gasket and hopefully that would be all that needs to be replaced

put a socket on the front of the crank add a long breaker bar and pull to the passenger side of jeep also removal of spark plugs makes it easier to turn

Head gasket isn't to hard it s more the removale of all the externals (intake,exhaust , ect)this would also be a good time to clean the injectors ,
If you get yourself a good repair manual and have good access to tools torc wrench, sockets , box wrenches, screw drivers , scraper ect place all bolts in a can so you know where they are

i dont know why my starter blew up like that but i replaced it and now my car seems to be running fine. i dont think the oil is as milky as i thought it was it was just in my head i guess. either way im gonna change the oil and im selling my tj to go back to a yj manual. auto just isnt for me..also the engine did turn

Back