Uh Oh... (t-case/SYE)

Jason4x4

So I finally got around to re-installing my Rusty's engine/oil pan skid that I pulled off at Christmas when I discovered that it interfered with my front driveshaft when the front axle droops offroad after installing my 4" lift. I notched it to clear the driveshaft but hadn't gotten around to putting it back on. So anyway, I put it back on with no issues and went to take a couple pictures of things I missed when I was taking 'after' pictures in my build thread - specifically the driveshaft and SYE kit on the t-case. So I go to take a pic of the SYE/T-case and I notice there is oil everywhere. The thing is leaking like crazy! I had it professionally installed so I don't know what the problem could be...it's the PORC kit recommended by Bounty Hunter. Any ideas??? :???:

The first thing you need to do is figure out where it's leaking from. Check the O-Ring of the speedo gear... Mine has leaked there more than once. Could also be that they did not seal the back of the case (or the SYE) with RTV properly, so check there as well.

It is definitely leaking where they sealed the case with RTV. On closer inspection it is not as bad as I initially thought but it still needs to be fixed. Also there is a bit of oil coming out of the seal at the end of the SYE (i.e. at the u-joint where the driveshaft is attached).

Sounds like shoddy work. I'd pull the rear driveshaft off, remove the yoke nut from the rear of the transfer case, and look inside the yoke where the nut was to see if the rubber seal was used.

As for the leak between the case halves, sounds like they didn't take their time cleaning the old rtv from the mating surfaces. It will need disassembled to fix correctly.

Those are 2 problems that should not happen with a professional install.

I second that; I would just take it back to the store and make them fix it...

Back