broken brake line

jakec

my metal brakeline on the front broke off right at the connector. do yall know if i can flare the end of it and put it back on or do i have to buy a new line?

It should be double flared....if you have the tool you can do it,but find out why it broke & correct that problem first or you'll be setting yourself up for another break.

ditto, to properly double flare the line, it needs to be completely free of rust. in the end, you are now still left with an old, fail prone brake line. pull the old line off at the distribution block (or ABS module if you have one) and run a new line to the axle. I did my entire YJ, front and rear in an afternoon. also if you need to, use small sections of tubing and use flared unions to connect, it will
1. make instilation 100 times easier
2. make trail repairs easier since you will only have to carry a couple short lengths and replace only pieces here or there.

To add, I find this post funny because I blew a rear line in my pick up last night.. I will be hoping for warm weather this weekend since Iwill be in the driveway re-plumbing the arse end of my pick up.

I tried to flare my own brake line for a Porsche I once owned, bought the tool and all, and it was a huge pain! The line kept splitting - there is an art to it I guess. I ended up taking the brake line to Auto Zone and they had a selection of preflared lines in different lengths. I just had to bend it to fit.

Auto stores have lengths of line with double flares and line nuts all ready to go!

I Replaced all the rear steel lines on my Jeep last year.I bought them from Auto Zone pre-made steel lines.Fairly cheap.Only problem i had was the driver side line only needs ot be about 18" long from the splitter block and the shortest they had was 21" long.So with some bends here and there I ate up the extra line to make it fit.

thanks for the help yall. i got it fixed today i bought a 20' roll of brake line and just bent all new lines. it was the one on the passenger side and the stores didnt have one that long. got new ends and put em on there also. ended up doing just a single flare but its not leaking and works fine. a buddy of mine builds buggies and thats all he uses so i think itll be ok.

The correct way to make or repair brake lines is to use double flaring. A single flare is simply flaring the end of the tube. A double flare actually folds the wall of the tube back over itself giving a very strong, compliant seal essential for brake lines. Single flaring results in a thin pipe wall at the base of the flare where the brake line will work harden and break over time. A single flare also will not conform to the inverted flare inside the fitting properly which causes it to leak. The double wall on a double flare compresses and conforms to the inverted flare and crushes to create the seal. Because of this, a double flare joint is considered to be a single use joint. However, people do get several disassembly/reassembly cycles out of them.

jps4jeep, very good idea on the small sections of line,I believe the next time I do line work I will do that myself makes a lot of sense to me

Back