1 ton axle flip?

i have a 87 yj with 1 ton chevy axles the front pumpkin is on the passenger side so im only running rear wheel drive can i flip the axle or would that cause to many problems?

It may be easier to get a passenger drop TC. To flip the axle you would swap the steering knuckles and get a new carrier that will turn the correct direction when in forward. I think.

Bacon

If you flip it it'll turn backwards, won't oil and the gears will burn up. Rock crawlers have been known to flip them but they don't last long. BTW all gears turn the same way, people wrongly refer to reverse cut gears as reverse rotation.
And why do you need 16" of lift to clear 37s, I've seen it done with 4-6".

If you flip it it'll turn backwards, won't oil and the gears will burn up. Rock crawlers have been known to flip them but they don't last long. BTW all gears turn the same way, people wrongly refer to reverse cut gears as reverse rotation.
And why do you need 16" of lift to clear 37s, I've seen it done with 4-6".

This. flipped axles only work in rear engined buggies where the motor is also physically backwards.

the easiest solution would be to toss the np231 in favor of a D300, it will pretty much bolt up, up-grade from chain to gear drive and put the out put inline with the axle. I also suggest upgrading the front and rear out puts on the D300.

Simply swapping axles would be expensive and time consuming. it is not as easy as simply unbolting the Chevy D60 and bolting in a Ford D60, the perch mounts are different so you would have to re-work spring hangers and swing shackle mounts.

additionally, you have way too much lift. I run 36" tires with only 3" lift, I plan on going to 4" lift and running 40's. your vehicle will be very tipsy.

I agree the t-case change is the simplest compared to most axle swaps. But there is one model of Ford front axle that is a "bolt in swap", if you can find the axle.
1978-1979 F250,F350 Snow Fighter pkg, or Camper Special pkg. This is a KP, HP, open knuckle, disc brake D60 and the spring perches are only 1" wider overall than a YJ so you only need to push each spring pack over 1/2" for the center pins to drop in.
Axle BOM#610023-1

Last edited:
That axle is almost impossible to find, I say almost because I have one sitting in my garage that I'm building to replace my 44.

Hard to find, but not impossible.

Still plenty of the 78-79 D60 up here, But they are selling for $700-$1000 for a POS axle with rotted knuckles and crappy spindles. The chevy D60 is a vast improvement king pins out over the ford axle anyways with an exception of HP vs LP.

also those ford D60 are notorious for weak neck down shafts. XJmarc, I'll take your off your hands so you don't have to worry about it.

I bet you would. People think they are made out of gold down here and go for about the same prices. I've thought about doing chevy knuckles, think it'll work, mostly because I don't like the ford brakes. I also plan on running 35/35 chromos.

The Chevy 60 SRW hubs are getting very pricey since Spicer stopped supplying them to GM about a year ago. I bought from teh dealership complete hubs, rotors, bearings and races for both sides and paid under $300 for NEW.

I was on Craigslist and I saw the USED SRW hubs and rotors, no bearings or races for $550. One thing I have been doing is buying up DRW hubs on the cheap and machining them down to SWR specs. I have not run a set yet but I do not see a strength issue (yet)

I wanted to run a divorce t- case but I still want highway speed and it would only give me like 30 mph so I'm searching the junkyards for a t- case in my price range( broke as hell) and later when I get outa bootcamp ima get a chevy 350 and drop that baby in

Don't think your wheelbase is long enough to run a divorced t-case. Wrangler rear drive shafts are way short already.

Also my rotors are done and I have a dana 60 front w/ disk brakes and old warn locking hubs that I believe bolt to the rotor ... Where would I get a new rotor from?

first off, if you find a divorced case in the junkyard, buy it, they are gettig very hard to find and people that performed 2wd-4wd and don't know how to change a trans main shaft pay pretty penny for divorced cases. (plus most are np205, can't get a more durable case than that)

Second, the D300 is not a divorced case, so your concern is negated.

Any parts store will have rotors. they are not bolted on tothe hub though, they are pressed on through the lugs. to get them off, use a brass drift and hammer the lugs out. once they are all out, if the rotor and hub do not seperate, a couple wacks of a dead blow should seperate them. rust usually fures them together. to reinstall, opposite deal, use a brass drift, hammer home the lugs. if you have access to a press and arbor plate, I would use this, less likely to wallow the holes out in the hub.

Back