^#%# electrical!

jehartma

Hoping someone out there has had similar problems... A while back my jeep stopped running. The engine would turn over, but not run. After much work, I gave up and took it to a mechanic. He couldn't figure it out either, but said that his first advise would be to put in a new wiring harness to replace the ratty mess that the previous owner had left for me (thinking there is a short somewhere in there). I just finally got around to installing a new painless wiring kit...but I'm still having the same problem.

Like I said, the engine turns over, but doesn't run. I'm getting spark to the plugs and fuel to the carb. If I put a jumper from the battery directly to the starter solonoid (basically hotwire it) the engine will run rough. One wierd thing...the guage fuse under the dash blows every time I turn the key. Don't know if that has anything to do with the other problem, but it seems like further evidence of a short somewhere. I'm pretty sure I did all the wiring correctly, so maybe its the ignition connections on the steering column??? Any suggestions welcome. Have't been able to drive my pal for over 6 months...going through withdrawl. Help! :-( [addsig]

I personally hate electrical work, I don't mind doing almost anything on my own vehicles but when it comes to electrical I leave that to the pro's...........Bullet[addsig]

The Nature of the Beast when it comes to electrial stuff is a nightmare. I wish I could just give some profound statement and you be able to walk out cut the brown wire and jumper it on to the green with yellow stripe and all be well again. I can't do it, all I can say is take to and bite the bullet of cost to get the auto electric man to fix it. good luck and I feel your pain! tug :-( [addsig]

Have you tried looking behind your dash for corroded electrical? I had a water leak through my windshield frame seal which caused water to get behind my dash and it seems now that a lot of the electrical connectors behind the dash are corroding. I have my dash pulled apart right now and am slowly pulling apart all the connections, cleaning them and lubing them up with dielectric silicone to prevent anymore water from getting in.[addsig]

I was afraid that was the solution. Good to hear that I'm not the only one with a healthy distaste for electrical work. Thanks for the comments. Guess its off to the mechanic.... :roll: [addsig]

If you decide to tackle it again, I can give you a couple of hints. In most sytems, when the starter motor is used, the ignition wire is direct and full voltage, somewhere around 12-14. When the key is in run position, the voltage to the coil should be about half that (+ or - a volt). If you try running it with full voltage to the coil, it will often miss, because the voltage is too hot nad the spark archs in the cap.
There is an inline 6 ohm resitor in the run circuit, between the key and the coil.
I´ve often found the starter relay (not solenoid) full of water and rust.

Don´t see it in Jeep much, but Dodge had an amp meter (instead of a volt meter) that when faulty, would shut you right down.

Good luck, I often end up with basket cases, most everybody else has given up on. I rarley fail to find the problem. Segregate the systems, troubleshoot one sub system at a time and have lots of patience.[addsig]

I am assuming you have a older TJ or YJ but if you have a 98 or newer TJ with a gray key, you need either a new key, or the resistance code re-entered into the BCM. Just to tell you, these systems are fairly rare on a TJ until 2001, But I have encountered them.
Hope this helps[addsig]

Back