727 or a 904 Transmission ??? Which one do I have ??

ToolmanII

I am replacing the automatic transmission in my 88 Wrangler (6 CYL.)
The place that I called said that I have ether a 727 or a 904...
How can I tell ????

Is there someone out there that has the same model as me that knows what they have ??

Also do you recommend not having the lockup, lock up... Would you leave it out so it doesnt lock up at all ???

Thanks For Any Help..
Dan[addsig]

the dealer can punch in your serial number and crank out all the specs...[addsig]

I tried that but there is no info... Us less they are laying... They said that the data back then wasnt keep to good...[addsig]

hmmf, well they had stuff for my '90 XJ... i'd imagine there's a serial number or something stamped into the transmission case but i'm not the expert on ID'ing those things...[addsig]

i would think that you would have a 999 since you have a 6cly but i could have it backwards and a 999 be for a 4cly buy i would bet you dont have a 727[addsig]

Hi! This may be of some help.
There should be a vehicle identification plate on the drivers side radiator support that gives the transmission code (lower LH corner), it also gives paint and trim codes.
Three speed autos should have a part number stamped on the edge of the left side of the case. Four speed autos have an ID plate on the right side of the case.
I found this info in a Haynes manual. Hope it helps.

edited by: cookie, Mar 02, 2003 - 08:03 PM[addsig]

My Jeep dealer says that anthing built prior to 1990 has little to no useful data available. They tried looking up some stuff for my '85 model... no luck at all. The service manager told me that around that time Jeep used about anything they could get their hands... case in point... i went to get a new speedo gear to match my new tires..turns out the t-fer case has a GM spec speedo gear...much smaller in size than the one that is supposed to be in it... :-O

And Haynes "manuals" belong next to the Sears catalog in the outhouse :-D Get a Jeep chassis manual from the dealer...it might take a act od congress and cost a mint...but other than that there is another one called "Motors" that makes a decent manual.

Dawg :cool: [addsig]

Back