Motor Mount Lift + Body Lift = can't shift into 4wd Low

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've finished my JKS 1.25" body lift combined with my Brown Dog 1" motor mount lift. Overall things went well, and everything feels stable. I did notice that I can't shift into 4wd low anymore, it feels as if the lever can't quite go high enough.

2005 TJ with 4.0 & auto transmission

Am I able to adjust the transfer case linkage? Is there a recommended method to this adjustment? It looks like the bolt below should allow some fine tuning

Attachments

• Jeep-transfer-case-adjustment.jpg
    Jeep-transfer-case-adjustment.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 12,821

Remove the linking from t case and shift the lever into 4low. Then manually shift tcase to 4 low. Loosen off adjuster and install into t case. Snug down adjuster and check operation

When I installed my body lift it came with a square plate with holes in it. I didn't know what it was for until I found I couldn't shift into 4 low. Found it was a drop plate for the tcase shifter. Put it on and now no issues.

The drop plate is the easier / quick fix for the shifting problem, however the motor mount lift that I did was supposed to restore most everything (fan shroud, tcase, and transmission) to the stock height. Hopefully I can adjust everything correctly when I get home tonight.

I didn't have any issues when I installed the combo, although I ordered JKS motor mounts (came in a box labelled Currie, I guess they're the same?) and I have the 6-speed, not the auto transmission.

however the motor mount lift that I did was supposed to restore most everything (fan shroud, tcase, and transmission) to the stock height.

The MML really only changes the output angle of the transfer case. Think of the transfer case/transmission bolted to the skid as a fixed pivot, and raising the front of the transmission (with the MML) lowers the back of the transmission. This helps the driveline angle. The linkage attached to the transfer really does not move because its attatched to the fixed pivot. Now the other end of the linkage is attached to the body (poor Wrangler design) which is now higher (body lift) and causes linkage alignment issues. There should be a bracket with the body lift that lowers the body mounted linkage bracket. There are also aftermarket brackets that eliminate the body mounted piece all together. Hope this helps. I have pictures somewhere but can't find them now.

Back